GAMEDAY Thread: UCF @ UH ESPN2 6:00 PM CST (W 78-63)

Would not surprise me if Nate Hinton is the conference player of the year this season. His energy is going to make it pretty tough for teams to keep him from a double double most nights. What a player.

11-3. Off to Philly. Q1 opportunity on Tuesday.

4 Likes

16 rebounds?!? Now THAT is impressive!

1 Like

That’s gonna be a whiny, upset plane and bus ride back to Orlando. Don’t let the doors hit you on the way out, UCF. Maybe we’ll get to dominate them again in the conference tourney. But onto the next for the time being.

It was a good attendance & very good atmosphere!

4 Likes

Why did White sit out the last 15 minutes of the game ?

I thought he was playing well…apparently CKS didn’t ?

1 Like

One UCF players shot his drink at Fabian and coach thought it would be good to sit him not to cause a situation.

5 Likes

White is really stepping up his game…I too was curious why he didn’t play the final 15 or so minutes…but I am sure there is a good reason…and once again this team is very deep and we have guys picking up one another.
Hinton was simply crazy good tonight…20 points, 16 boards and five key steals. The young man comes to play every night and his hustle every night is simply incredible…loved watching Hinton and teammates like Alley hit the floor even when we had put this one away…
On to Temple, and I expect the Owls to bounce back from its terrible shooting night against Tulsa. This conference really has no soft touches, especially on the road…

2 Likes

Did you happen to catch which player?

DeJesus #4

1 Like

Thought you sat on the end by the visitor tunnel. Was hoping to see you there and wish you well.

1 Like

4 Likes

I sit behind the coaches and their families in the club seats

I thought the charge call on UCF was VERY questionable and was a critical call in the game. It looked like a 3 pt play possibility for UCF and turned into 2 FTs + possession. At least a 5 pt swing in a tight game. The refs took over from there.

Edit to add: that Kids in the Hall lookalike ref is good for several bad calls each game he works. Glad this time went against the bad guys.

I wondered why Fabian was standing by the UCF bench and pointing.

I think that was when their coach got T’ed up.

A win is a win and I will take it. In the AAC, the Coogs must protect the home court. I don’t know what to think about the officiating, other than it frustrates the hell out of me. Every time either team had a flow to the game, there was a whistle. I think the UCF coach, Johnny Dawkins, had a legit complaint on a few calls. That said, in the 2nd half tonight, UH could not breathe on a UCF player or it would be a foul. I’ve never been a basketball official so I can’t relate to what the refs actually see on the court when the bright lights are on, but as a paying customer, I am not there to see the officials make every freaking call, destroying the flow of a good game, and making the game a free throw shooting contest.

Pros: The Coogs got a W and did not play anywhere near their best basketball. Nate Hinton, you’re a MAN. I’m glad that I get to see you play for my Coogs. I’m glad that my 10-year old watches you play with effort and enthusiasm on every single possession. You play the game the way it should be played. Ced Alley #23, you earned more playing time. Loved your effort on defense. Keep it up. Harris #1, keep playing hard on defense…and FTs! Grimes with steady leadership and an easy double-digit scoring night. I hope that Caleb Mills is not hurt too bad. Anyone with an update? Defense continues to be strong. Solid rotations and help defense. Team rebounds and stepping up strong to make FTs. Lord knows the Coogs needed to make FTs because the refs called everything…making the game a FT contest.

Cons: Turnovers, sloppiness for no apparent reason, and scoring droughts letting UCF back into the game. These are all correctable, so that’s good.

Upward and onward to Philly. Let’s take down Temple!

Go Coogs. Peace.

2 Likes

You want consistency from refs. Before the T and after the T were two different approaches by the refs. I don’t know if they saw something that concerned them about it getting too emotional between the teams but I did see a Constable approach the refs during a timeout in the 2nd half and point toward the UCF bench area. Thought it was odd. Maybe he saw the drink incident others mentioned and this is what changed the approach once it was brought to their attention?

5 Likes

OK, back from the game. I am curious, for those who watched it on TV, what did the announcers say about Hinton. That guy makes the energizer bunny look like a sluggard. He carried this team on his shoulders tonight. Nate is the heart and soul of this team and is the unquestioned leader. 20pts, 16 boards, 3 assists, 5 steals. What a game

Jarreau played his usual out of control self , but made all 12 of his points from the charity stripe. I don’t know how many turnovers he had, but it seemed like a bunch. I know he had a bunch of shots end up as fouls, but his out of control drives that ended up as missed shots are the equivalent of a TO. Once he decided to play D and just try to run the O, he did much better.

Grimes was doing zip most of the game but finished with 10 points. I knew things were going well when Harris went 4 for 4 at the line and totaled 8 points. Was any reason given about why Fabian was taken out and Alley put in so long?

As usual, the crowd was late arriving, but turned out pretty well.

3 Likes

Nate. Hinton. Is. A. Dog. Even in the press conference that man is impressive and totally dialed in.

Nate got plenty of love from the broadcast and deservingly so. Coach said during the post game that Ced played more over Fabian because of the heavy guard line-up UCF plays instead of having a traditional 4. It was about finding the best matchups.

1 Like