GAMEDAY THREAD! UH vs BYU

Should have pound the ball with running game it was working fine.

They went on a 29-0 run on us.

1 Like

Enjoyed the first half, BYU obviously made the necessary adjustments in the 2nd half.

Coogs lack discipline across the board.

How does jawing/celebrating/piling on unnecessarily/butting helmets benefit anyone/team?

Team seemed to play better when a certain player was benched for one that doesnā€™t shoot the Coogs in the foot. (Hope the injury isnā€™t serious)

A defensive player with a lot of energy and hair is reactive, as opposed to preventive/playmaker.

Coaches have the responsibility of having the team prepared for ALL situations, currently, this does not seem to be the case.

I appreciated the effort by the student athletes, this loss is definitely on the coaches.

BYU deserves and has earned the attention they have received. Definitely top 15, but not top 4.

4 Likes

We gave up 43 points.

Well, the D is better than last year. Thatā€™s for sure.

4 Likes

13 yard punt did not help my grandma can punt farther.

2 Likes

The short yardage defense was my favorite part of the game.

2 Likes

Tackle better and stop the stupid penalties and weā€™re in business.

1 Like

Big picture is the schedule really doesnt get easier. We have Navy, UCF, Cincinnati, USF, SMU, Tulsa, and Memphis

Up 26-14 I really thought we were going to win this game.

Same but as a Coog fan I should have known better to think anything is in the bag. Gone are the days we put up 70+ on teams.

Postgame takeaways:

• Tune played another good game. The first 3 quarters from him were exactly what we expect to see from an Air Raid QB.

• Offensive play calling in the 4th was absolutely baffling. Just astonishingly bad. It seemed like every play was designed to chuck it deep against a team that wasnā€™t giving us time to let those routes develop.

• Our secondary is a huge liability, and BYU exposed that in the second half. When they figured out that we could only stop them if they kept the ball on the ground, that was game over. We are going to get absolutely smoked by SMU and Memphis if that keeps up.

• Through two games, our short yardage defense has been unbelievable. Pound for pound, I donā€™t think thereā€™s a better one in the country.

• BYU is good, but Iā€™d be hard pressed to put them in the playoff unless every P5 team has two losses. Their schedule is abysmal.

• We gotta get the stupid mental errors cleaned up. There are three plays in particular that Iā€™m thinking of, and I donā€™t think I need to call them out.

• The offense didnā€™t turn the ball over. Thatā€™s a huge improvement from last week.

2 Likes

I said this after Tulane about our secondary. Some people thought I was crazy.

True, 5th game vs 2nd game with fairly eveningly matched teams will make a difference.

1 Like

My post game take aways: 29-0 run by BYU.

3 Likes

Final thoughts from me in this then we are in the grade thread

1. Tune is going to be pretty good, I donā€™t know if heā€™s going to be special but there is a lot of talent there to develop.

2. We all see it thereā€™s real potential v on both sides of the ball. They just have to play two halves. O can be really good and the front 7 can be good.

3. The level of stupid penalties is inexcusable, Paul had a bad night tonight, but they were all over the field. This is a poorly disciplined team and it cost us tonight.

4. Secondary is still pretty sus. Emergency Meeting for sure on that group.

5. Jekyll and Hyde special teams they were atrocious tonight.

5 Coaching has some red flags from tonight. The complete inability to find away to get the ball to Stevenson is unacceptable heā€™s your best player you find away to get him the ball. The inability to calm the team down when things started spiraling if this was an older yeah maybe they get less blame but for a young team thatā€™s their job to keep the do straight.

1. Our inability to generate a turnover is driving me nuts. And itā€™s not like weā€™ve real close to one either.
  2. The missed tackles are also driving me nuts. I get that itā€™s not easy tracking other talented players. But it seems like we are exceptionally bad.
  3. Finally I hate to call out anyone player in particular. But can I say I just not a big fan of Stuartā€™s game right now? I love his passion, energy and playing with reckless abandon, but man I feel like heā€™s almost always out of position or overrunning a play, just heā€™s not playing in control right now. I want to see all those things I like about him in more laser focused way.
4 Likes

Special Teams, discipline, and fundamentals are my biggest concerns after 2 games.

Missed tackles too.

And a better HCā€¦ Sorry I digress for a minute there.

Tune has grown. He was calmer and more confident in the pocket. That said, I hope he continues to get better. Mental mistakes and lack of self-control were the biggest issues of the night to me. We hurt ourselves too much there. I also wish our defense had continued to throw different looks at the quarterback, but it is what it is. The other QB was good, but definitely manageable. Anyway, onward.

3 Likes