Games of Interest: 12/31/18-1/6/2019

Shockers have started out the half decently and got it within 5 at one point. Memphis leads 48-41 with 15:57 to go.

1 Like

Lol at kid fiveving the imaginary players on that FT. Memphis has really good Offensive Players. Itll be a good match Sunday. Or just like you said WSU is making them look good.

Shockers going to be bad this year. Nothing impresses me about how Memphis runs their plays. I call blowout at FC Sunday

The announcer said they kept up with the Vols till the last 5 minutes or so. I didnt see the game but if that were true thats impressive.

2 Likes

They did. They got down by 15 at half, but came back in the 2nd half to close the gap. That was the game that Barnes accused them of flopping and Penny got mad at him.

Memphis can be scary if they’re hitting their shots, but they don’t run much of an offense and their defense is very loose. Barnes also was correct in saying they flop a lot…hopefully, we have decent refs that won’t fall for it.

Looks like they beat WSU by 11.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1081024564006739968

PAC 12 continues their struggles as their top team in the NET loses to a 7-6 145th ranked Utah. Conference may end up with only 1 team in the tourney the way they’re going.

2 Likes

Add to that, I noticed the bottom ticker said Bol Bol is done for the year due to surgery and his career in Oregon is over. More bad news for the Pac12. May look like the Oregon win may not look so good at the end of the season.

2 Likes

We get atrocious refs… Memphis may beat us merely by flopping every play. Otherwise we blow them out.

1 Like

That is my worry. We’ve had some crews this year that are whistle-happy and Memphis’s “style” would benefit the Tigers immensely.

1 Like

Ugly game on espn2 right now between SMU and Tulane.

Tulane is regressing as a program

SMU doesn’t play that many guys and they just played two nights ago, and still won. Tulane is really in a tailspin.

I’m not sure what its going to take for that program to be competitive.

Defense and rebounding.

1 Like

Good question. They’ve only made 3 NCAA tourneys in their history; the last one coming in 1995 so it isn’t an easy place to win.

Dunleavy was an odd choice, though, as it wasn’t like he had deep ties to the state or had a ton of recent success as an NBA head coach. He also isn’t a spring chicken and hadn’t been a part of college ball in 40 years. I think Tulane was hoping for credibility with his name, but that’s not how college basketball works.

Good lord…let’s slow down a bit on the Memphis gravy train, my friend.

Senior Jeremiah Martin stood up from the bench during the second half Thursday night, once teammate Kareem Brewton Jr. hounded Wichita State into another turnover, and signaled for a timeout with his hands.

No, not a timeout for Memphis.

He was attempting to call one for Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall.

That’s when I knew for sure Penny Hardaway’s first team is ready to challenge for an American Athletic Conference title.

And just a reminder, good slate of games today:

https://twitter.com/C_Austin_Cox/status/1081554180366614533

Kind of interested to see how that USF-Tulsa game plays out.

Another glowing Penny/Memphis article:

“Well, first of all, I have the utmost respect for Coach Marshall and all of the veteran coaches in this league,” Hardaway said. “But I’m a workaholic. I study the game, I understand the game and I have a great staff, and we’re gonna have our guys prepared. I wasn’t afraid to coach against anybody. I was really kind of relishing the moment (on Thursday) and really wanting that because I wanted to see where I stood when it came to those guys. They’re legends, and I’m just trying to make my own mark for this school and for this team. I’ll never look at it like me against (Marshall) because we have staffs and we have to coach against each other. But it’s also just being on the sideline, coaching against a coach like that.”

https://twitter.com/TheHRReview/status/1081356384304803840

Its just chaos right now. Memphis is sure pleased with themselves. Interested to see what Tulsa does.

1 Like