Gardening

I think its the Mexicola varietal, good down to 18 or so.

1 Like

My first homegrown spaghetti squash

Spaghetti squash is very underrated.

1 Like

May 2023 - I’m getting squashed

Took one of the zukes, chopped it up, added it to leftover spaghetti and 2.5 ice cubes of basil pesto and 3.5 min in the microwave and, voila!, lunch.

1 Like

My first 1 pounder of the season

1 Like

Impressive!!

Chris,
I have about 3/4 of the variety you have . But I do have okra . My family makes all kinds okra dishes not limited to gumbo and tomato/okra soup.
I got my okra seeds this year from the LBJ Ranch
store . They do not grow as large as the longhorn variety,but are less slimy and more tender. Besides, what Cougar wants a longhorn in your garden?
Go B12 Coogs !

1 Like

Here is the finest tomato I grow. Bought a big yellow tomato in Franklin TN and kept the seeds. Difficult to grow, produces almost all 1 pound + fruit that are a sweeter less acidic tomato. It is simply the best tasting tomato I’ve ever grown. I think they are called Brandywine but not sure.

Not sure what kind this is. It didn’t produce many. The inside is purple and great tasting

German Queen ? I lived in Knoxville for 20 years and my friend grew something like this.

I have 60+ seed varieties. I’ll see if that’s one of them

Found it…

Chocolate Stripes

A top-notch slicing tomato for salads and sandwiches, this indeterminate type has a complex, earthy flavor.

A close up of the unusual red with dark green stripes 'Chocolate Stripes' tomato cultivar, pictured growing on the vine on a dark background.

‘Chocolate Stripes’ Seeds

Reddish-brown fruits boast contrasting light and dark green stripes and reddish-brown flesh. They are a generous four to six inches in diameter, and can weigh up to one pound.

Plants mature in approximately 80 days.

The boss brought in a paper bag full of what he said were Chocolate Drop tomatoes. They’re cherry tomato size and just amazing flavor. One guy at the office described it as “cotton candy” flavored.

The boss also deflated my ego…I was telling him how we couldn’t get any tomatoes to produce last year (our first attempt), but this year we’ve got more than we can handle. He told me it’s not my gardening skill, it’s the weather. Lots of rain and cooler weather this year compared to Spring of last year.

He said he didn’t get a single Chocolate Drop tomato last year after they planted them. This year they didn’t plant any, and he’s got buckets full of them! :rofl:

True. Much nicer spring for tomatoes

1 Like

I’m going to try the chocolate drop next year. I tried a yellow cherry this year. Prolific but lacked great flavor.

I have so many tomatoes so I looked up recipes for sun dried tomatoes. Going to make a batch tonight.

Do they have to be dried in the sun or can we let them shrivel up in a bowl on the kitchen counter? :grin: I’m about to find out soon…

In the oven at 225 for 2 to 2.5 hours. Says use cherry or any small tomatoes. They are in the oven now

1 Like