Gas vs Electric Autos

So far demand isn’t enough for cars bc they have to figure out wait times for charging and people don’t want to wait 30 mins or more at stations. What they need to do is have stations that swap out your battery to make it faster. You drive up and they take your old battery and pop in a new one which is the way to go.

1 Like

You did notice the countries listed?
All of these countries are for solar energy as well. There is no way that we can only sustain our industries on solar energy alone. This is 100% not possible right now.
You mentioned the article’s sources. Fair enough then we gotta ban all chinese made solar panels since they are made in the concentration camps. I know you will agree with it.

That was my initial personal take on it too. But you may need a standardized battery pack
for that to work, which leads back to government imposed standard ? But , the promise of
next generation solid state batteries is higher energy density and greatly reduced recharge
times.

Exciting times!

1 Like

Yep, they would have to standardize the batteries then it could start to work.

Emphasis on right now. But advances in technology won’t come to a standstill just because something is not possible right now. There were people who were alive when the Wright brothers flew at Kitty Hawk who were still living when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

2 Likes

Reality - 20% Green in Texas right now.

Real-Time System Conditions

Help?

Last Updated: Oct 25, 2021 15:47:17

Frequency
Current Frequency 60.012
Instantaneous Time Error -2.699
Consecutive BAAL Clock-Minute Exceedances (min) 0
Real-Time Data
Actual System Demand 60785
Total System Capacity (not including Ancillary Services) 64346
Total Wind Output 6276
Total PVGR Output 6281

Current System Inertia 297242
DC Tie Flows
DC_E (East) -546
DC_L (Laredo VFT) 0
DC_N (North) -218
DC_R (Railroad) 0
DC_S (Eagle Pass) 0

Even Car and Driver Magazine has debunked the article. Damage done though, knowing the brainwashed haters, they’ll keep mis-quoting the article like its the Constitution. Like the life to life fake article that claimed a Suburban was more environmentally friendly than a Prius. lol.

2 Likes

Well a Suburban is more crash friendly than a Prius.

1 Like

In reality that’s the big demand driver the US is waiting for… Big vehicles first experiment is f150 lightning. Which for at least half the market is the truck most people need anyways.

Its also more crash friendly than a Ferrari, but I’ll keep driving my Ferrari.

1 Like

Did I write that?
I am 100% for renewable energy and it has to make economical sense. The electric car and EV’s are almost as old as the combustion engine.

I love NASA. The Space Force was long overdue.

Older.

Yes.

Guess that depends on your perspective.

Would you rather your wife or daughter get hit by a prius running a red light at 40mph or get hit by a suburban running a red light at 40mph?

EVs don’t matter much for those that don’t have a charger available. But I bet the sports car market is going to be insane when they all do sub 2 0-60.

Portland is a compact city and they’ve done a good job with charging stations… they are everywhere, so tons of EVs here. Long road trips? Not so much.

Transition to renewable, zero emissions will be gradual for decades and that’s probably the best as the economy shifts from being so heavily petroleum based. You can’t just change a whole economy overnight.

Regardless of costs… EVs make a huge difference in crowded cities in air quality and keeping cities much cleaner.

1 Like

Cleaner cities would be nice. I think a better option is to reduce total vehicles while replacing the gas based with emissions free in cities. For example, remove all cars in downtown Houston. Only a public transit system with parking lots at certain points along the exterior and a much larger focus on bussing from the suburbs.

Economy is not shifting from oil based. Only the car industry. Removing ICE cars does not remove the oil needs, only reduces it, then the cost of all other oil based products goes up through lower volume of refining.

Will be a much larger shift in living styles than just a car.

1 Like

Wow.

That’s a hyper specific use case. And it lost credibility when it said its like taking a vaccine that doesn’t work.

And this intelligent quote:

People got a look-see at those costs a few days ago. They might also have a look at the power-rationing occurring in states like California – where it is generally not cold but where you’ll still be stuck if there’s no electricity available to charge up your EV.

Gas stations also use electricity to pump gas.

His point is more that you can put 5 gallons of gas in the back of the vehicle for emergencies.

I look at electric cars currently for use around town, kinda like an extended golf cart I use around the neighborhood. I still think it has limited versatility during winter months up north. Perhaps they can solve it with time and research but I prefer my Toyota Avalon driving to Birmingham on a 3 tanks of gas round trip.