Good guy with a gun

There ya go

1 Like

That’s one year, I wonder what the results were for years prior.

I’d be interested in more than a screenshot from someone’s Facebook page.

That said, I’m not exactly sure what the point is of the post. Interesting info though.

3 Likes

Unfortunately all too often people on Coogfans (very likely including myself) post something with no context and you just have to infer what their point is. Same thing when someone uses too many pronouns.

Chief, the objective should never be killing
in the streets. You sure this is a fact to be proud of ?

The FBI Uniform Crime Report for 2020 indicates that armed private citizens killed more criminals during the commission of a felony than were killed by police, and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms says this data clearly underscores the continuing need for American gun ownership.

“We looked at Tables 14 and 15 in the FBI’s new report that apply to justifiable homicides by law enforcement and private citizens, respectively,” noted CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “Last year, according to the data, armed citizens killed 343 criminals during the commission of a felony while police fatally shot 298 felons.

1 Like

45,222 gun deaths happened in 2020. 54% (24,292) and 43% were suicides according to the CDC. CDC seems to categorize the gun deaths a bit different as they listed only 611 as involving law enforcement. Assuming the overall total of 45,222 is the same for both reports… here’s some analysis of what the data shows.

298 felons shot by police is 0.66% of all gun deaths in that year. 434 shot by citizens is 0.96%. Together that is 1.62% of all gun deaths in 2020.

I’m not sure that 1.62% of all gun deaths being “good guys with a gun” is really a good talking point for gun ownership.

I take no hardline position on either side of the 2nd amendment debate. Just looking at the data here.

6 Likes

Yeah, seems to be one of those “using statistics like a drunk guy uses a lamp post” things.

In any case, I don’t think anyone here has advocated taking away everyone’s guns.

2 Likes

Civilian Brutality!

What I take from your post is that less than half the people killed by the police in 2020 were in the act of committing a felony when they were shot and killed. That means the other 300+ people killed by police were not committing any serious crime. That’s almost one person a day shot and killed by the police for AT MOST committing a misdemeanor, like jaywalking or speeding.

That’s way too many.

1 Like

Yes. It shows that other side of the gun argument. That responsible gun owners are positive in society.

The majority of people who commit suicide do so with guns owned by responsible gun owners. Its not the flex you think it is when you say gun owners are a positive for society.

But no.one here is advocating guns be taken. I am a big 2nd A guy, but the promotion of stats like this are cringy.

4 Likes

Yeah, remember and repeat that mantra when
the next child gets a hold of a gun and kills himself or a sibling. And you shouldn’t have to
wait too long for that to happen. We have one poster here advocating hiding of pistols in the home for emergency use.

1 Like

Gee.

I do that in my own home.

Nothing wrong with that!

Good advice actually!!!

I guess, to be fair, I don’t have any kids though.

It’s fine if you don’t have kids. The worst advice if you do.

I don’t need twitter or anyone else to tell me if I can own a gun. Its my birthright. I grew up with guns in my house. Never touched them. The same way I didn’t jump in the swimming pool when I was trained not to. Didn’t stick my hand in the disposal. Didn’t grab the hot muffler on cars. My youngest son has no interest in guns whatsoever. He says they’re too loud. But if I told him not to touch it he wouldn’t.

The statistic everyone should be looking at is: how many non-gun citizens get hurt waiting on the police?
That would be interesting. Stranglings, shootings, stabbing, bludgeoning, torture…et.al

2 Likes

Did you stick your finger in the light socket? Would explain the hairdo

You can’t manage everyone’s behavior. Although some want to do it. And you’ll never take anyone’s protection away from them. The whole thing is quixotic.

I’m just glad I can support my local police. Some young officer with two young kids just trying to get home alive. People like me won’t call him and wait for him to walk into a melee. I protect my home and my loved ones the best I can before I call someone else to do it. I expect my neighbors to do that, too. Before they call me over at 3am because someone smashed their window in.

In a violent city like Houston you gotta fight for your right to party.

Kids, grandkids, relatives or friends with kids, escalating arguments, ageing parents you may be caring for…it’s a stupid and irresponsible strategy.
Hide n Seek with a deadly weapon (especially handguns) is not very responsible.

How many home invasions have you stopped in your life ?

1 Like

Damn, y’all must live in some dangerous parts of town.

Living between Yellowstone and Sunnyside for the last 20 years, I’ve never had that concern. Never so much as had a package stolen or a car window broken.

Don’t have guns, but I do have a pack of dogs.

1 Like

©Copyright 2017 Coogfans.com