Had enough of Whitting yet?

Coach Allen bio for any that don’t recognize him…

2 Likes

As the father of a player who was with the program and has since left, the lack of development is what I would point to as the first issue. Combine that with what is becoming a very hot seat and you end up with needing a jump start from JUCOs. 20+ JUCO guys came in last fall (touted as best JUCO class in the country) but they haven’t gotten better. It isn’t working because you’ve got terrible team culture with the mercenaries (the player’s words, not mine). Younger guys don’t get a shot and they keep rolling out the same guys not getting it done currently and the young guys are frustrated. Bad mix right there.

12 Likes

Do we even know if Allen wants to coach here or is everyone just throwing his name out there, I’m not familiar with the situation, but it seemed Anderson did well here, wonder if he wants to come back to Houston

1 Like

Allen is early 40’s and he knows what can be done here. Anderson is early 60’s, I’d go with younger…Build it and they will come !!!

4 Likes

Frank has been a HC before too. While he had some success at OSU, it wasn’t very good relative to their expectations.

As an example, he’s the only OSU coach to not reach the CWS (since it’s existed of course).

2 Likes

Basically what I’ve heard. I feel bad for the kids…you’ve seen quite a few guys get chances late in the season and produce…why weren’t they getting chances earlier?

Culture is definitely off this year (and last). Something has to change.

5 Likes

UT isn’t going to stop him from being a head guy at his alma mater. Pierce, the head guy there, is a Coog and would be fine with it. Hell I’d take Pierce, but he won’t leave Austin.

My hope would be to talk to Whitting and see if he’d want to move into an admin role in the athletic department and hope he goes for it. Then go get Allen and give him some money to grab assistants.

3 Likes

From what I’ve heard, Anderson has head plenty of offers to be the head guy, but doesn’t want it anymore. Just wants to work with pitchers.

1 Like

You know the beauty of the game is it’s numbers and they don’t lie…too often :grinning:
and the numbers ain’t purty friends…

Top 7 Hitters ( Bielamowicz, Hernandez, Rivas, Burckle, McMillian, Pendergrass, Uhse)
306 - 1172 .261BA 45-HR 172-BI
Rest of Team
86 - 440 .195BA 3-HR 30-BI

Pitching numbers
UH 5.36-ERA 214-BB K-361 1.71 WHIP
Op 4.06-ERA 149-BB K-406 1.37 WHIP

Fielding
UH 57-E .968 f/%
Op 36-E .980 f/%

2 Likes

The good news…4 of the 7 are So/FR
Bielamowicz - SR
Hernandez - JR (#JUCOBANDIT)
Rivas - JR (#JUCOBANDIT)
Burckle - SO
McMillian - SO
Pendergrass - FR
Uhse - SO

2 Likes

Sometimes I wish we only hired coaches that were never affiliated with UH. That way it would only feel like a business decision. Whitting put a lot of energy into promoting the growth of the program. And he’s part of our history. I hate drumming him as a fan.

3 Likes

How about Doug Drabek as pitching coach? He’s been doing it in MiLB for a few years now.

3 Likes

Too depressed to start a new topic, but Coogs just lost game 3 to UCF 6-0. That’s two runs in three games. Sad for the fans, sad for players, and all who have had to endure this season

2 Likes

Same. CTW is a great guy and part of me really wants to see him figure it out.

6 Likes

He’s in a profession that is about results.

I feel bad for him that it hasn’t worked out but it’s time to move on. It’s NOT even debatable.

There’s NO reason why UH should be in this position. Nobody said recruiting is easy but it’s part of the game and you either get it done or you find someone else who can.

UH is right in the middle of one of the top areas in the country for high school talent. Stop with the excuses…we need someone who is bringing solutions to the table!!

It’s also about developing the kids they bring in as well.

This program has a rich history and STOP with the kids want to play for an ex MLB player. Most of these high school kids are clueless who Berkman is.

They want to go to a place where they can play, get coached up, play against good competition, win and improve their draft status.

This program has first rate facilities and if Rayner could get it done than it can be done!!

Sean Allen is at the top of the list in my opinion.
He knows the area.
Very well connected with all the coaches.
Knows the game.
I think he could put together a strong staff as well and his energy is what the program needs right now.

This program is progressively getting worse and they better act now before it starts going in the direction the basketball program went in because the lower it sinks the harder it is to resurrect.

UH is Sean’s Alma Mater for crying out loud.
I’d be EXTREMELY surprised if he didn’t jump on the opportunity if it was offered.

Look at the teams he played on at UH.
That’s what we need to get back to.

8 Likes

222 RPI as of this morning. I had thought we had bottomed out already. 194 sos.

3 Likes

Are you talking about the assistant coaches here or the entire coaching staff along with the head coach that you labelled as “mercenaries?”

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s time to move on. Hate to fire one of your own but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Now whether it actually happens, who knows.

2 Likes

Can’t speak for post but know in past the JUCO boys were called merchs by the boys that couldn’t beat them out riding the pine

3 Likes

Coogs lose game four, 2-1. Oh well, at least we scored. A lot of very good pitching for naught this series.

2 Likes