HERE COMES THE ATTACK ON COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Covid has caused social disruptions, business failures and countless personal tragedies. Some have even used it to further some political agenda. So this should come as no surprise. Let’s hope it doesn’t work.

Is College Football an Expensive Luxury for Many Universities? | Headline Wealth

Like you, you mean?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not seeing the relevance of a piece in an unknown journal arguing for something that won’t happen. College football is the first or second most popular sport in the country; it ain’t going anywhere. I might as well link a piece arguing for the demise of Mexican food restaurants in Texas.

1 Like

There is no doubt that college sports are under significant financial risk due to COVID. Its one of the main reasons I wanted it to return this season in some form or fashion to at least generate the broadcasting revenue to cover some of their operating expenses. Look what they did at Utah, a P5 program with the furlough of their AD. They should be coming back online with the PAC returning to sports in November.

The article points out the financial issues of “200 mid-majors” is correct. The vast majority are drains on the university. But universities have heard these complaints by some of the professor ranks for decades. The noise will be higher with greater strains on universities from a financial perspective.

Some of the article’s initial points are just incorrect:

The importance of college football to university education is vastly overrated. Rather than an integral part of the college experience, football means more student debt, another burden for taxpayers, and a compromised education for athletes.

College sports are a major part of a university’s culture at most universities. Not sure what they talk about not being part of the college experience. Then the point about student debt? What are they talking about, the vast majority are on scholarship? A compromised education? They are clueless. The counseling the student athletes get is great. If they are not doing their academic jobs the compliance coordinators and AD counselors are all over those kids. The average student doesn’t get the help the athletes do. Far from compromised.

Lol. Money losing? If college athletic departments could keep just football and basketball, they would be making money. And this article conveniently forgets to point out how much money football and basketball is making the universities themselves. Not just the athletic department.

So, is this author fighting for removing the non revenue sports? Will they help with the Title IX lawsuits that will ensue?

1 Like

I thought this was saying that students are helping pay for the athletic department. I know I was paying student fees at UH that went directly to help fund TDECU. If you don’t have sports, you don’t have these fees.

At some of those “mid-major” universities the expensive sport of football is a much bigger drag on the budget than the non-revenue sports.

It looks like more an attack on football.

I do expect we’ll see more of these types of attacks in the years to come. When the financial pressures come on universities, some will automatically point to sports.

Possibly that is what he meant that student fees for sports are funding student debt. But those fees are typically fairly minor compared to the total cost of education as whole.

I agree, but they’re still there. I’m just looking at the Big 6 conferences. Maybe throw in Boise. Football isn’t losing those schools money.

The author isn’t directing this article at the MAC, CUSA, or Sun Belt.

The biggest difference in the history of the University of Houston vs the University of Dallas is in our athletics program. And HBU wouldn’t have started up their football and basketball programs if it weren’t expected to be a financially viable endeavor which helps to bring in big $$$ donations for the rest of the school’s programs.

As Ms. Renu Khator has said, athletics is the front porch of the University.

The internet has allowed everyone the ability to broadcast their opinion. You don’t have to pay them all mind, and in this case amplify them. If you’re looking for something to be outraged over online, you’ll never be at a loss.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that. But UT-Dallas could be a good comparison. It’s a great school that people don’t really know about. Athletics is a big part of the reason why.

Fun fact - neither of those schools are located in Dallas.