High School Basketball Players getting Paid $100K

Well, here is another avenue to skip college to go pro while making 6 figures for their services. For all of you who don’t think college athletes should get paid, you should be happy for this. But wow, a sixteen year old making a minimum of $100,000.
https://illinoisnewstoday.com/high-school-basketball-a-professional-league-for-top-level-high-school-players-builds-facilities-in-atlanta/204476/

The Overtime Elite announced on Wednesday that it will build a 103,000-square-foot complex where preparatory players will train, research and compete. The new league promises academic education and six-digit salaries to market to top players between the ages of 16 and 18. This is another potential route to the NBA besides going to college, the G League under development, or abroad.

The money is big. I guess it will be shoe money? I can’t see a lot of other revenues for high school basketball. Maybe a weird tv deal?

1 Like

The money comes in when they go to the nba

Jeff Bezos is an investor besides famous basketball :basketball: players and Overtime company, so they got the cash for this. I suspect they’re aiming for players in the '24 and beyond as they built the facilities in a big campus. Wouldn’t surprise me if they get a Tv deal as well.

This seems to be the top level of the AAU circuit on steroids - a new pre-NBA minor league.

They do it for baseball players all over latin America… Might as well give kids who have no college aspirations another option as well.

4 Likes

My concern is this is for kids who want to major in basketball. I’m sure they’ll get the opportunity for education, Will they take full advantage? We’ve seen where an athlete can be “can’t miss” and then some freak injury and their career is over. I’d hate to see some 16-18 year old kid, and they are still kids, get injured and have no backup plan other than basketball.

Yeah, this is much closer to how youth sports development works basically anywhere else in the world. School sports, especially as a pipeline to the pros, is a pretty uniquely American thing.

4 Likes

How so?

Their release said “In addition to selling custom jerseys, trading cards, video games and non-fungible tokens, we also generate revenue from the use of names, images and portraits.”

Are you saying something like once some of these guys make it to the NBA and get really popular Overtime Elite will then make their money selling NFTs and high school jerseys of those players?

Seems like the next logical step after what IMG academy has been doing. I wonder if they will get into bidding wars with IMG for top prospects.

Kids might start playing college basketball for the free education along with having a chance to physically and emotionally mature.

1 Like

Some kids need to grow into their bodies and mature mentally… Others don’t. Getting paid in high school and then in one of many pro leagues isn’t a bad option for elite players, or non-studious types…

1 Like

Montverde as well.

The Sean Kemp Institute for Basketball and Human Integrity

1 Like

…And here we go

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1395730991172530180

1 Like

Okay, I offer you a service and you want to pay me over $1M over 2 years and I’m 17. Are you crazy? I’m taking that deal.

Matt, who is ranked No. 3 by ESPN for the Class of 2023, and Ryan, ranked No. 12, will forgo high school and college eligibility to join the start-up league in September for contracts that are expected to pay them each seven figures over the two-year range of the deals, sources said.

3 Likes

The OTE group promises to give a player $100K for college if he does not make the pros. I assume that’s in the contract the players signed.

Hmmm . . .

Mikey Williams will probably be next!

1 Like

Seriously.

When i was 17 i was making about 4 bucks an hour.

2 Likes

So if you’re chosen as an elite recruit you could have 3 years playing as a professional the way Doncic was in Europe and getting paid and getting an education, plus the benefit to go to college if you choose to in your off time.

2 Likes