Hire Jeff Traylor thread /UTSA- 10 year extension @ $2.8 million per

Choose Your Head Coach Wisely

3 Likes

Ya Woo Dana Holgorsen!

1 Like

Now THAT is a crowded Student Section…

Lol.

Wisely over quickly.

There are a few interesting parallels between Jeff Traylor and Art Briles.

Both were very successful HS HC with state championships to their record.

Traylor had three stints as an assistant college coach. Briles had one.

Both started their collegiate career at 52/53 years of age.

UH was Art’s first college gig, UTSA is Jeff’s first gig.

Both finished 7-5 in their first year and lost their first bowl game.

Both were good recruiters. Art recruited west Texas effectively. Traylor recruits east Texas effectively and was Big 12 Recruiter of the Year in .2016.

Art’s second hire was Baylor. He transformed Baylor into a national power. UH is in a better place today than when Art took over the program in 2002. Maybe Traylor can make UH into a national power.

If I thought that Traylor could become another Art Briles (without the baggage), then I would be onboard to the hire.

7 Likes

I’m all for hiring Traylor. I feel like UH should be a great destination spot for up and coming Head Coaches who want to build a program.

3 Likes

Good question and a real dilemma. He deserves to get a shot at the HC position. Other consideration is that he will move on if we fire Dana.

Belk is a heck of a coach, want him to stay.

THIS.

This is the benchmark for hiring any head coaches. And if one of them says I’ll bring them back, immediate hire.

1 Like

Do you have season tickets and donate to Cougar Pride? Just asking.

2 Likes

Belk has done a great job with the defense so far. Him and Early might be our best recruiters. Maybe Holgorsen decides he is tired of our crap and decides to resign, which allows for Belk to step up.

2 Likes

But have you watched any of their games? Is he a defense or offense guy? All i got out of this thread is strong Texas ties and has done better at low level places than expected

I recall a similar rally by our Coogs at TDECU one time…

I’ve watched highlights, but not full games. From what I can tell, he’s more of a Multiple Offense guy than UH is used to – lots of TEs and Power runs and even some under center play. Still usually One Back and from the Shotgun, but pretty run-heavy. That said, the Runners are leading the nation in Offensive Plays/Game, so they sort of have to be up-tempo by definition.

6 Likes

10-14

2 Likes

Promote him and sign an OC would also be the cheapest option if we let Dana go.

I don’t believe threads like this are helpful to the program. We complain when schools try to poach our coach during the season because it’s a distraction. We are doing the same thing to ourselves.

7 Likes

That really doesn’t say Big12

My list of probable candidates is pretty ambitious, but before everybody starts laughing bear in mind UH is moving to the big time and the sooner we start acting like it the better. The days of settling for a guy because we could get him and hoping he stays longer than until the coffee gets cold are over.
Hugh Freeze- Liberty- This guy has turned his life around and he’s HUNGRY.
Brent Venebles- Clemson is on a downturn and this might be a good time for him to look for greener pastures.
Jamie Chadwell- Coastal Carolina- offense out the wazoo and fun to watch.
Sonny Dykes- SMU- He’s getting guys and they play hard for him. His offense is a DC’s nightmare.
Phillip Montgomery- Tulsa- for a long time an “oh si**” team on our schedule. We all have seen what he can do.
Jay Norvell- Nevada- this guy might be the real “quarterback whisperer”. Fields a powerful and effective offense every year with kids the ‘big’ schools don’t want. Just think of what he could do with a decent budget.
Billy Napier- UL- he’s young, smart and ambitious. Somebody is going to grab him and be glad they did.
Willie Fritz- Tulane- This guy has transformed a bunch of ‘smart guys’ (ala Rice) into a real pain in the neck and that is a hard thing to do. AND he won championships at the FCS level. I’m sure some of you will disagree and I don’t need to be right so go for it.

1 Like

That’s it. You don’t have 10 more. As a non-Holgi guy myself, it’s amazing how y’all can go on and on with the stuff. I’m just amazed . He’s our Coach now n for the foreseeable future , I rather see threads on what’s the best way to improve as Season progesses n best way to beat TU. I might just go start one. Y’all keep it going here. :roll_eyes:

Edit: you know it’s bad when even Kmoney is giving suggestions on should replace our current HC.

2 Likes