Hodgepodge- College basketball

https://twitter.com/ClassicsCBB/status/1480879228186890240?t=iETrY4KgIRyPTOXXkTEuZA&s=19

2 Likes

Knight was definitely a disciple of the “fear, sarcasm and ridicule” method of coaching. A method that had it’s time and place but doomed to extinction with the arrival of millennials and Gen X

1 Like

I think Knights record speaks for itself. I was not a Knight fan by any stretch, but I never heard much negative from the players who started in his program and finished in it

2 Likes

Same here. Never huge fan of him or his team but respected his Coaching ability. Although as a teenager, I was a huge fan of his 74 Team-- Scott May & Co. … really liked that team. They had 7’4" guy also I thk-- Burleson?

2 Likes

I guess players he choked don’t count because of all the Ws he piled up?

1 Like

Lol. His players took up for him. Did the kid die or have a broken neck?

1 Like

He can’t even throw chairs correctly :rofl:

2 Likes

Tom Burleson (7-4) was on the 1974 North Carolina State national championship team with David Thompson.

1 Like

Ahhh, yes thank you for that correction. I think David Thompson is one of the Top 5 greatest College basketball players ever.

Yea, I was overlapping my teams bc that NCSt was very good. They had short kid as PG, help me w/ his name.

He was amazing-no doubt. If I remember correctly, he had like a 42” vertical.

Monte Towe maybe?

1 Like

Yes Sir! Very good. I would have come up w it eventually. Good job!!

He was a great one. Had the pleasure of watching Louisville Male High play in Houston against Houston ISD team back in the day when he had good hs teams.
Thompson had a teammate who went to UL also

1 Like

I remember a SI exposé that said Knight once did a four-hour practice with every player playing their position…and no basketballs were allowed in the gym.

I guess he wanted to emphasize the basics of defense and position over scoring. Lol

2 Likes

Indiana won the national championship in 1976 with Scott May, Quinn Buckner and Kent Benson.

1 Like

It’s good that Knight’s coaching style is going extinct; he was a miserable human being, but there’s no question that he was one helluva basketball coach.

Thks for posting. I knew all the players in my head. But being I was a teenager then, I was getting the years mixed up etc. Some Great College Basketball players in 70s.

https://twitter.com/ClassicsCBB/status/1494052870328500224?t=XvDgT5jUXyp5PbdH5jBsOA&s=19