Holgorsen is our Tuberville

Senator for Alabama, but we get it.

1 Like

I wish every player in this program the best but a change in culture is not always the smoothest for those who have already been here. As you stated, this is a lesson and applicable to life.

Not saying the locker room incident is a positive, but maybe being told to do something by your peers can open the minds of players who haven’t got with the program. There needs to be a sense of urgency by both players and coaches.

1 Like

The fact remains, Major Applesauce did untold devastation to this program and it will take more than 1.5 years to recover.

Dana may or may not get it done, but the fact that he hasn’t yet done so is on Major.

5 Likes

Exactly! What Applewhite left Dana to run with last year was bare. Most didn’t realize including Dana what was left for him to run with last year. It was a huge mistake to hire a not ready for prime time Major. Major hasn’t been hire by anyone else and is still hanging out at Bama to learn as much as he can. But few programs come close to recruiting the athletes that they get and winning there is executing under a totally different formulae that assumes plenty of 4 and 5 starts.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but shouldn’t some blame be placed on the administration? Applewhite didn’t take the job by force. He was hired by UH. Who wouldn’t accept a first time HC job paying far more than an assistants salary? Most assistant coaches aspire to be a HC unless your name is Brent Venables.

IMO, too often we blame the coach for lack of performance and the decision behind the hire often goes without accountability. We also assess to much blame and praise on the QB whether or not he has a talented supporting cast.

I don’t know how Coach Levine’s business is going with the covid still after us, but if he wants to come back I would pay him a cool million $ to be our recruiter.

4 Likes

Let’s hope Tilman doesn’t become our Jerry Jones. His money, the exposure, and the business experience he brings is awesome and needed. But if you are blaming the last two hires on somebody, it would fall on him. I’m not giving up on Dana yet, but would like to see improvement the rest of the season or I might be grabbing one of the pitchforks Cary is handing out.

2 Likes

Major was a mediocre coach, not a hurricane. The situation here was not so dire that it should take multiple years of losing vs AAC competition. We still had a roster of D1 talent, including several standouts, when Dana arrived.

2 Likes

How different would our record be if King had remained with the program?

Holgs lost to Tulane with King, so it’s hard to have too much confidence that it would be much different.

1 Like

With the pocket offense, not good

the only viable excuse for dana at this point that cant be put on him is “they havent bought into the culture, talent doesnt matter if they arent buying in”
im not even saying this is happening, as no coach has indicated as much

1. but the cupboard is bare argument is false-- there is talent all over. you cant go through a single unit on UH’s roster and say that it is not a talented unit “on paper” 
except qb. but whats odd is that the people saying the cupboard is bare are the same ones saying tune is great

2. “The man is relying on JUCOs for crying out loud!”-- Dana always relys on juco, why are you guys acting like dana normally builds off of high school recruits, but had to stop gap at juco this year
 maybe example will illustrate this better; this is Dana’s SIXTH year at WVU, on the recruiting class after HIS BEST year (was in the title conversation, he wasn’t recruiting while bad)
 the recruiting class was still 50% juco https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

3. to be fair to dana, i dont like the tubberville comp
the issue that was noted about tubbs was that he had already achieved the pinnacle at auburn. that cincy was just a retirement job
 tubbs wasnt hungry to get greatness, he already had it
i got a similar vibe from levine, and thats why i threw in the towel on him. we’d get destroyed by some team, put up no offense and levine was smiling post game and talking about turnover margin
 i still sense a strong vibe from dana of wanting to be great, the post game rumors was agood thing to me not a bad thing

3 Likes

Dana is from Iowa

3 Likes

Just look at our OT position over the last 4 years, it is a good indicator of how previous staffs recruiting schemes were terribel and left us with a bare cupboard and one of the most important positions.

5 Likes

Same. I reference his performances in the four games he played in last year. Missing open targets and lots of over-throws on the deep balls.

He’s not missing passes this year.

1 Like

I’m not really following Miami, but I did watch a bit on Friday. Saw some passes dropped that were right there like our guys did a lot of the last two years. I think we’re better at not dropping this year.

For the quarter or so that I watched, it seems like Diaz is letting D’Eriq play his own style, which is something I think he tried not to do last year, but just didn’t work. He was a fish out of water here last year. Jmo

1 Like

Ben, you deserve kudos and post of the day.

Patrick Paul imo just imo has the potential to play on Sunday and be a difference maker. His injury is a key blow. We are not strong enough
yet. It takes time friend.
Every football team be college or professional needs to have a dominant OL. This is how the Patriots have based their success on.

1 Like

Deep pockets you have there . . . . .

Agreed on the OL
and I would add DL to that as well.
But who could ever forget The Hogs (Redskins Super Bowl Champs) or the OL for the St. Louis Cardinals back in the day (Dierdorf, et al)
succeed at that position, succeed as a team.

1 Like