Houston adds 6-9 center Darius Bowser

I wonder who else coach Sampson and staff were looking at because he said he was looking at several. Don’t forget Carlton only averaged 3 ppg as a senior transfer last year. And he contributed pretty well last season.

1 Like

Honestly I think his PT will be similar to Brodoo when he was here with Powell, Francis and and 6-7 guards available.

I think there’s a good chance he gets PT, anyway. We’ll have a game where our regulars get in foul trouble and we’re having trouble with another team’s post play. This guy can come in and help out, assuming he picks up the defensive rotations.

Not to mention some 30 point leads in the last 3 minutes - I expect some of those to open up opportunities for the guys who bring it in practice.

1 Like

No disrepect to Brodoo but he was a walk on who only came in in the last minute or two. Coach said he will not be a star player but will give us depth and play some here or there depending on matchups.

1 Like

Brodoo could have went smaller and put up some modest numbers. Good size, good hustle and a solid mid range jumper.
Butt this really isn’t an apples to apples discussion.

3 Likes

if Charleston southern list true measurements and he really is 6’9 230… he’ll have a chance at minute, and real minutes

nothing on his resume, film, or anything he has done suggest he should get any minutes at all… but Sampson is a transformative coach and developer…taze played the 4 at his old school, dotson did 2 rbs per at oregon, dejon was known for bad defense coming into UH

he has something you can’t teach which is measurements, and moderate athleticism … he has the body to be successful in rebounding system and the body to be a better defender than he has shown… infusing him into sampsons system could bring out a whole different player… or not, who knows

6 Likes

Brought in for fouls. Thats it.

I wish he could’ve joined sooner. So he’d already be working out with Coach Bishop. But maybe he didn’t need to take summer school classes. Or we just needed more time to vet players.

Where could I see him be useful? Opponents with a ton of size. Where we have foul trouble for Chaney, Francis & you go to Bowser who has more weight than Kiyron Powell. And can push the low post player off the block better.

I do like the move

I think that was well said and at the end of it, who knows.
Just know that I. value the guys who don’t play and appreciate their contributions to our program.
If he can come in and help our other bigs or even Francis/Powell’s development and just be a great teammate I am excited to have him here. Anything else will be icing on the cake.

1 Like

True but he never was able to get any meaningful minutes in his couple of years here, even when our frontcourt was in foul trouble. I don’t think he was ever was going to be on scholarship either. He actually retired instead from basketball to pursue an engineering career at a gas company.

Really not interested in the comparison, just the expectations of minutes.
To me a perfect world is Chaney plays up to his standards with a healthy season, Roberts becomes a consistent force on the boards and in the paint, Walker flashes his special abilities and learns to be a warrior on defense and the boards and Francis becomes too good to not be on the floor with his defense and rebounding.
Then there is 5-6 bigs which I don’t expect to get much time in our natural rotation.

Last year, about this time, a lot of people were wondering who the heck Josh Carlton was.
Trust in CKS!

5 Likes

Yes. Sampson hates foul trouble like I hate stepping on a sea urchin.

Giving the bigs 2 minute breathers here and there doesn’t hurt either.

1 Like

If nothing else perhaps the kid come in late when the other team has to foul. Arguably he will be our best free throw shooting big…regardless, coach Sampson sees something in the young man he likes…and that is good for me…

1 Like

Last year we didn’t even have enough bodies to have garbage time so having extras will be a blessing to rest players

1 Like

So…we had our pick of many impact players to make us a true title contender (which i believe we are) and we settle for a practice squad level player?

We are so close to a championship…we can all smell it.

I trust Coach but this is a head scratcher with the level of talent that was interested in US!

2 Likes

its also about timming… there is legtimately only 1 center of any worth in the portal right now. and we were not guaranteed to land him with the NIL business… and even he is probably just a rotation player

what really screwed us was banking on lofton…when the transfer portal was popping, we already taught we had someone in the bag… and after the portal was dead was it then that lofton decided to stay in the draft…

there is literally no value in the portal for big men right now, and we have no international connect… realistically i knew we were likely going mid major… i was hoping a higher quality mid major guy but at this point what can you do…

2 Likes

Hate to sound so negative but Sampson might have realized from summer workouts/scrimmages that Powell and Francis are further along than we thought and we need more competition and size.

1 Like

Not to mention bigs like that don’t necessarily excel on worse teams, most of his points come from dump offs and lobs and if you don’t have guards that can get you the ball you won’t score much the type of big he is. He’s never played with guards like we have and a passer like Shead. He would get a lot more easy looks with Shead on the court. We don’t need him scoring a lot just dunk and finish and be a big body

not sure thats what it was… (them being further along)… in the presser 2 days ago, someone asked if this the deepest team he has been around… he said maybe with the guards, we are extremely deep at the guard positions… said we have some quality bigs but they are all 4s…

the sampson went on about trying to add a big, but mentioning you wont find anyone of quality this late (again sampson brought this up himself, and wasnt asked) that we are both thin and inexperience at the bigs … note we had 5 bigs befor bowser, we’ve never used more than 5 bigs …yet he thinks we are thin at the 5

1 Like