Houston Cougars 2022 Position Previews: Linebacker

Stewart started five games last year. The base alignment has included the nickel back, but I remember seeing Stewart a number of times last season. So I would guess we’ve been about 60%-75% nickel back, but we’ve used the third linebacker quite a bit. I’m guessing we won’t as much this year with Stewart gone.

Thanks for the compliments all. I really enjoy writing these. As many of you have stated, we’ll be in a true 4-2-5 most of the time, especially if Jayce Rogers plays the nickel like the coaches think he can. Belk has called him the “alpha” of the secondary (more on that next week). The only game I could see us playing three LBers on the field is maybe against Navy. And even then, Rogers could see the field a lot at nickel as the option likes to try to string the defense sideways if they can’t run up the middle and your secondary has to be great at tackling in space.

4 Likes

Being that most teams run a version of the spread all the time that is quite possible. It is a luxury for thes who have guys like Morris good d enough in space to cover.

1 Like

Butch
I remember David Hodge having the reputation of being a hard hitter . He would knock you into next week !
Go Coogs !

2 Likes

I was at practice one day and things were going pretty sluggish as the second and third team units were going against each other. A running back hit the hole and a linebacker came up and ended up about five yards back on his backside.
Mild mannered Yeoman got pretty upset and said to David Hodge to go out there and show them how it is done.
So the offense ran the same play and Hodge immediately drove that same runner into the dirt as the sideline erupted.
Hodge never flinched, no high fives, no smiles, he simply returned to his spot on the sideline.
Point taken coach…

7 Likes

Yep…that’s what I am talking about ! It is great to remember things others remember too! Graybeards…add spice to the discussion !

5 Likes

You are thinking about the Covid year. Not last year. Stewart barely played last year. We rarely ever had 3 linebackers out there. Most teams don’t in this era too much speed. He only had 5 solo tackles and 10 assisted.

I was thinking Grant Stuard. Love him!
Our Stewart from Katy played quite a bit, just didn’t seem as active as I thought he would be

I got that from the stats page on UHCougars.com. He started five games including the bowl and played in 13. That doesn’t mean he played a whole lot; he didn’t. He was 20th on the team in tackles. But, still, he did start several games, and we used a different alignment when he did. I just wonder if we’ll continue using that alignment and, if so, who will replace him.

I saw the started 5 games stat was from 2020 season not 2021. I didn’t see where it said he started 5 games last year so that’s why I was confused sorry. But to your point we will run the defense was we did last year with the 4-2-5 scheme. Will rarely ever see 3LBs unless it’s goaline situation/obvious run downs or playing navy lol. But my guess would be cheeks or Morris. They are older and are solid cover guys

1 Like