Houston Cougars vs SMU Mustangs Gameday Thread October 30th 6:00pm on ESPN2

https://twitter.com/uhcougarfb/status/1452636069413986307?s=21

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/jdm2186/status/1452686054687969280?s=21
Good news is Tune is 100%. I have no idea why we wouldn’t run him more last game, especially with the run game looking as bad as it did. So many time I watched him hand it off but if he kept the ball he would be running for 10+ yards

His mobility is still questionable I think. While he didnt grab his hamstring as much as he has in previous games, he did put his hand on it a few times.

1 Like

I’d rather him go through his progressions and move around in the pocket than look to run right away. He’s pretty damn good when he doesn’t lock on to one target…

3 Likes

There were a few plays on Saturday where he didnt even get a chance to sidestep, he just got covered up by what appeared to be unblocked pass rushers

1 Like

Basically all of Tunes longest plays in his career have been runs. Besides a couple passes to Speedy. He’s a real threat running the ball. We keep having these negative runs, or runs for 1-2 yards that stall the drive. Tunes ability to run would open up the offense so much more. Would help the RBs and help us have more positive plays. Tune is a legit runner. Just look at that first half of Tech

4 Likes

Yea, I don’t think he’s 100 percent.

But I think Dana wants to send a message to SMU that they should consider Tune running an option, so they might want to back off those blitzes that ECU used so effectively.

But I’d love to be wrong.

8 Likes

No… He was spreading it around when his hammy was injured and he had to stay in the pocket.

Tune had 13 carries for 28 yard against Tech…?

2 Likes

You don’t understand that sacks count against rushing yards in college ? Clearly you haven’t watch a lot of UH football. Tune had 43 rushing yards and a rushing TD in the first half against tech. Including 2 4th down conversations with his legs.

I’m confused what you are saying “No” about. Tune longest plays or his career have come from the ground. Besides a couple passes to Stevenson, basically all of a Tunes biggest plays have been from his legs. Doesn’t mean he needs to run all the time, but definitely needs to run more, especially when our run game is getting stuffed like it was against ECU.

Huge game! :fire:

1 Like

I’d like for our Oline coach to grab some guys by the ears and tell them what he expects on running plays. These guys do fine blocking backward but have some mental lapse with going forward

No, Tune is not a legit runner, but he is capable of making plays with this legs. He needs to think pass first and spread it around like he did in the Tulsa and Tulane games.

I also don’t think he needs to take a bunch of hits running the ball.

3 Likes

You never watched Tune play if u don’t think he’s a legit runner. He was literally on best runner last year

Again… He can make plays with this legs but he’s not a legit running QB… Greg Ward was a legit runner. Tune is at his best spreading it around and occasionally running the ball.

2 Likes

Tune is a great runner once he gets past the line. But remember, both times he hurt his hammy he was pulling away on a breakaway.

2 Likes

This is CDH’s biggest game since being named HC. If we don’t come out with a win, this message board is going to be a scary place

2 Likes

Agree.

I have my doubts sometimes. But having seen Dana in his locker room celebrations I really think the guy wants to win badly here.

If you watch the game over you’ll see him furious over missed routes and overthrown/underthrown balls. I truly think the guy believes these kids are better than what they’re executing on the field.

Spoiler alert: this is gonna hurt but we have to find a way to run the ball. So expect to see the same amount of run calls. If we can’t sustain drives we’ll put loads of pressure on Tune and his oline. I hope we’re successful.

3 Likes

Saturday can’t come quick enough!! Go Coogs!

4 Likes

Tune is a good straight-away runner, but he’s not an elusive runner. I just wish that he’d stop running backwards when a defensive guy is unblocked and rushing from the outside. Saturday he twice lost at least 10 extra yards by trying to run away from the tackler. Just take a knee or throw the ball away Clayton.

Anyone watch the player pressers yesterday ?
Russey & Tune both were answering questions