Houston is Chomping at the Bit to Play UT

It’s really not up to UT. Whether they play us or play us at NRG. I mean they could just refuse to play the game and forfeit or something, but they wouldn’t.

Moncoog may be right that the conference itself will prevent it from happening so that they get the UT games themselves.

The middle ground might be that we get to play them but would do so in Austin.

That makes sense. Existing big 12 teams would get the UT and OU away games at the existing members home stadiums.

New members would play away at OU and UT

Seems like a good compromise.

To this overly optimistic prediction, BYU fans would say Ha! Ha! Ha! - since they just recently far out numbered the UH fans at TDECU. And BYU has far less fan support in Houston than does UT.

It’s possible I misunderstand how this works, but I think the primary variable is how many UH fans want to attend. BYU fans filled up the seats we didn’t, which the UT game would have fewer.

No after UH season ticket sales are completed, the UH ticket office will sell the remaining tickets on a first-come first-served basis - no matter what school you are a fan of.

So after UH season ticket sales, UH fans have no preference over UT fans or BYU fans or other fans.

Ahhh, okay, I thought there was an allotment based on expected need.

Well yes, there is an allotment for UH students as well as for the visiting team to sell through their own ticket office, but after that and UH season ticket sales, the remainder (likely a majority) of the tickets are sold as noted above.

[NOTE: When we travel up to the DC area to watch UH play at Navy, we order our tickets from the Navy ticket office and pick them up on game day. Like UH, they don’t care which team you are a fan of.]

Why do you want to play the tea-sips? They know who and what we are. However, from my perspective, I don’t want to play them with a first-year QB and they have Ewers. If it was this year, fine, but don’t want to play them with an inexperienced QB.

Despite them limping and underachieving the last few years, they have lots of talent and now good coaching.

1 Like

2 Likes

If we have UT (or OU) at home, I hope it’s at TDECU. This will be how we built our season ticket holders. If we’re force to play them at NRG, I couldn’t careless about playing them. We just need to used those 2 schools to increase our STH.

6 Likes

If it tops that Louisville game, that would be awesome!

1 Like

If we have another 10+ win season and have UT on the schedule, I would bet our season ticket numbers are over 25k, close to 30k. Add in students and easily over 30k Coogs. Only way its 50-50 is if thousands of Coogs sell their tickets (which could happen).

BYU is a bad example because I am not even sure if we had 10k season ticket holders during Covid. Plus our fans, especially casual fans, care about playing UT 10 times more than BYU.

2 Likes

playing texas seems unlikely to me. i realize there are some scheduled games some seem not able to get out of but pro and college re-arranged and rescheduled all sorts during covid. seems they will probably figure a way to do that rather than leave texas and ou in the big12 another year especially if the sec is holding things up; seems they would want to be accommodative. imo, they figure something out and ut and ou make the move same time we do.

It’s going to be at NRG… you have to be realistic about this

So many people are going to want to see this game, and they’re not going to lose out on the potential revenue by keeping it at TDECU (assuming it’s at home)

You’re talking about alumni, t-shirt fans, neutral fans, tailgating, souvenirs, etc etc

You can’t have that experience at TDECU for a game of this magnitude, at least not yet. We may never play UT ever again after this one.

1 Like

Conference home game and we want to make it neutral site for road team? That’s stupidity. This ain’t 2016 realignment and TU can’t demand that. Coogs alums want to see the game, buy season tickets. Casual football fans can watch the game on tv or buy ST. UT alum/T-shirts fans, f**k them.

12 Likes

I would much rather not play them at all than play them at NRG and be around 30,000 of those cow turds.

16 Likes

Agree. 70k people will not fit in TDECU. This game will be at NRG. This isn’t complicated.

Ya, may be naive on my part, but my initial thoughts were “Well, we built this brand new facility for this very thing. This isn’t 2001 anymore, we played them with way less in facilities, and defied them with way less political clout. Come play us on our beautiful campus, because your whining will fall on ears that don’t have to listen, and you should know it.”

But, upon reflection, As for playing at NRG, if there is some financial incentive for UH beyond a massive campus event full of exposure, and stoking ticket demand from lost Coogs and casuals? Then, maybe we can talk.

I think the Texas Bowl sponsors pay out fat too, I’d be willing to bet a stadium expansion will be announced within the next year or so. People are gonna start coming to our games to watch the away team and that is good too

2 Likes

Haven’t seen Baylor or Texas Christian, with slightly larger stadiums than us, moving their home games with the sips to Jerry Jones World so they can accommodate the Evil Empire.

11 Likes