Houston Regional Game 3 vs. Baylor Thread (W 17-3)

2 RBI single by Hollis and a long…long 3 run blast by Scheiner. 16-3. Still no one out.

Coogs have batted around in the 7th, still no outs.

In other words…good pitching or poor hitting? That’s the nub. I go for the hitting side…we are inconsistent, and it is up to the coaches to figure that out. And do something about it. Just my opinion after watching every game. It is the hitting or lack thereof that cost us games. I hope we make progress going forward, witnessing the innate talent each Coog player has at the plate…be calm, be consistent. Hit the ball, or go down trying.

Baylor pitchers threw 69 pitches in the 7th. That’s insane.

They should call it a game! What are the odds of baylor ever winning this one?

They should.

17-3 after Scheiner drives in Hollis. T8.

Triolo just popped one on the infield that no one wanted. Dropped in for a hit right behind the mound.

But going back to Coogs hitting…when we are leading they hit so well, and when they NEED to hit…so sad. Across the board…not just freshmen etc. What is the deal? The coaches need to address that. Very few times this season those hits come in, although there have been times when our season could have changed. As a coaching staff I would address that and try to do something about it. We showed we could hit Iowa pitchers (among other teams we have lost to), but not when it counted, despite the umps. Like I said, the same issue all season. Go Coogs! Coach, get a good hitting coach to work with your players!!! That is all we lack!

I agree!

Lightning delay in B9

They should have a new rule for regionals: Game is to be ended if one team is leading by at least
9 runs after 8 innings of play.

It appears that ESPN scoreboard/website has reported a 17-3 “final” score. Now they’ve updated it to “delayed.”

You can’t have a 14 run comeback without a 14 run deficit.

Could us Coogs actually get a “break”…they following their own rules in our favor? It would be one of the few times. The Coogs definitely earned this win, whatever they decide.

We want the win ASAP then let the weather give Iowa and A&M fits so they are up until 3am finishing their game.

3 Likes

Back home due to commitment tonight. We should wrap up 9th soon and hope tonight’s game gets serious rain delays and goes about 12 innings. See y’all tomorrow at 2.

1 Like

Still hanging out here. Looks like Villarreal will finish it as he’s been warming up.

Heard that Ullom is hurt and won’t be available. So Henry 1st game, Hurdsman 2nd game?, ??? Monday

7:10 start back up time.

Single, double play, groundout was all she wrote.

Coogs win!!! Live to fight another day. Next game at 3 pm Sunday against the loser of Aggie-Iowa

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/060317aac.html

HOUSTON NOTES

Corey Julks has reached base in 23 straight games and Joe Davis in 21 straight.
Every Cougar in the starting lineup had a hit and scored a run.
Houston batted around in the seventh before recording an out.
The top of the seventh inning lasted 42 minutes.
Houston hit three home runs (Scheiner (18), Davis (8), Julks (8)) in the win, bringing its total to 58 – the most since hitting 71 in 2006.
Jake Scheiner belted his 18th home run of the year to move into a tie for second all-time in a single season, tying Thanos Papavasiliou and Cole Bruce, who each had four in an NCAA Regional vs. Alabama on May 31, 2003.
Scheiner’s six RBI was a Houston NCAA postseason record, previously done by three different Cougars.
Houston broke NCAA postseason team records in hits (20), runs (17), RBI (17) and tied its own team records in home runs (3) and doubles (4).
The 14-run margin of victory also breaks a Houston NCAA postseason record, previously of 12 (15-3) vs. Southern Miss on May 26, 1990 in the NCAA South I Regional.

_Top Offensive Players _
Connor Wong | 1x3, 2 R, 2B
Connor Hollis | 3x5, 2 R, 2 RBI, 3B
Jake Scheiner | 3x6, R, 6 RBI, HR (18)
Joe Davis | 3x4, 3 E, 2 RBI, 2B, HR (8)
Corey Julks | 2x5, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2B, HR (8)
Lael Lockhart Jr. | 3x5, 2 R, 4 RBI, 2B
Tyler Bielamowicz | 2x6, 2 R
Grayson Padgett | 1x3, R
Cooper Coldiron | 1x4, 2 R, RBI
Jared Triolo | 1x2

Houston Baseball notched a season-high 20 hits – the first time since May 23, 2015 vs. Memphis in American Championship – when the Cougars tallied 24 hits in a 17-3 win.

In Saturday’s Regional win, every Cougar starter had a hit and scored a run, led by three home runs and four doubles.

Jake Scheiner broke a Houston NCAA postseason record with six RBI on three hits, which included his conference-leading 18th home run of the year.

Freshman Lael Lockhart Jr. continued his hot-hitting in postseason play, going 3-for-5 with four RBI and two runs, while Joe Davis and Corey Julks each belted their eighth home runs of the year, driving in a pair to join Connor Hollis with a two-RBI day.

Pitching Breakdown:
(W) John King | 5.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 5 K
(SV) Fred Villarreal | 3.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Houston senior starter John King produced yet another quality start for the Cougars, going 5.2 innings, allowing three runs on eight hits with no walks and five strikeouts to improve to 8-1 on the year.

He handed the ball over to freshman Fred Villarreal, who earned a 3.0+ inning save, going 3.1 innings out of the bullpen, allowing just three scattered hits to pick up save No. 2 in his debut season.

King and Villarreal were backed by its defense, who turned a season-high four double plays in the win.