“Houston should never have a losing season”

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

1 Like

Herman’s team which he inherited he weren’t really speedy little dudes. That team was big and physical. Less speed and more size on the offensive side side of the ball for sure.

2 Likes

Yes, but they weren’t p5 olinemen that a lot of folks think we can get. And that qb of ours was ours because no one else thought that a five foot nine qb was a good choice. We had a little qb that was undersized running around making plays on his own.

Our best receiver statistically wasn’t 6 feet tall in Ayers.

Little guys on offense that put it together. Our defense was amazing and look at that 2015 roster and it is littered with NFL folks.

But that offense was a Houston offense. Creative, agile and a bit lucky. Almost nothing to plan at times.

It is a Houston tradition. We have had success when we have to take what we have and figure out how to win with it. The veer with BY, the run and shoot with Pardee and Jenkins, Briles with his no play book, Sumlin with up and coming OC’s looking to revolt against trends like young Dana, CTH letting ward do his thing.

When we go all in on traditional football we seem to fail. See Helton.

4 Likes

The Applewhite haters on this site are completely ridiculous. He completely and totally outperformed Holgi, and this was in his first two years as a head coach. So far, Dana is a much worse hire and is getting paid a high P5 salary to do it. The ma has been abysmal.

7 Likes

Holgi’s piss poor clock management lost the game at Tulane and sent the program into a downward spiral. That had zero to do with Applewhite. The man’s tenure has been an epic fail, and anyone who wants to blame Applewhite is an imbecile.

6 Likes

Yeah, we were MAJORly getting screwed with Applewhite. 1.5 million salary and winning seasons. What we have now has been so much better.

At least we will have a winning season this year, so we’ve go that going for us.

1 Like

You are right on.
This thread is like others against CDH. All of this negativity against CDH bring some of you joy?
Our team needs our 100% support no matter what you and others feel. I am all for freedom of speech but com one friends. The season’s results will tell everyone where we are going. Again and again this is not a video game when you can direct the outcome.
A full stadium with fans behind our team is what is needed RIGHT NOW.

3 Likes

We have underperformed. But I really think this year is going to be a breakout year.

3 Likes

Holgo caused the downward spiral… :grinning: :grinning:…yeah, ok

2 Likes

Schools have been cutting each other’s throats to bring in Applewhite as their new HC.

7 Likes

Post of the day busseycoog. This is for the CDH haters.

1 Like

CMA inherited a program that went 22-4 previous 2 years, and did nothing but go downward…his third year likely continue downward trend…What Holgi does a lot better than apple dumpling is recruit…We will start to see the efforts translate into wins this year…Our D is already VASTLY better now than under apple…Offense comes on board this year…

6 Likes

The vibes I got with Applewhite as head coach is that the players didn’t respect his authority. (And, yes, I don’t mean just Big Ed.) He was also responsible for the hiring of a disaster of a defensive coordinator, Mark D’Onofrio, plus Applewhite totally mismanaged the redshirt process. Throw in an 0 - 3 bowl record against less than stellar competition and nothing to get excited about recruiting (and wasn’t his “great connections” with Texas high school football coaches part of the allure in promoting him to head coach?), what’s the fascination with Major? Yes, he ended up with a winning 15 - 11 record, but - my gosh - he took over a team that had just gone 22 - 4 with Herman calling the shots. There’s no question the program was trending in the wrong direction under Applewhite, and I’m convinced we’d be in worse shape than we are now had he been given another year.

4 Likes

You really want to debate Applewhite? Pass. Waste of time, and says all I need to know. We have had continuity hires. Levine and Applewhite. We had instant success, Herman. Lets see what happens when we let coach build a program. That means time to overhaul the roster and culture. I know everyone wants instant success but most things take time

6 Likes

There was a different vibe with CMA. Some players will say their jr high coaches were tougher. Players want coaches who tell it straight no matter how much it angers them. They want to be told they are moving in the right direction with their position and growing as a player. Players don’t want to be ignored, they want to have input. I’m not sure how many college players want laid back coaches.

6 Likes

Factually inaccurate.

1 Like

Are you counting transfers?

Transfer portal didn’t exist until Oct 2018, so apples to apples, recruits; both HS and JUCO.

1 Like

Don’t return punts or kickoffs. Standard football strategy.

Throw 50% of your passes as slipscreens directly to the sidelines. It worked so well. See Las Vegas Bowl.

All I’m saying to everyone in here defending Holgerson like y’all cult leader, about to sip the kool aid :sunglasses: I’m taking receipts and coming after y’all if the Holgy experiment fails miserably!

2 Likes