Houston to the SEC?

Local college station newscaster reporting UH to the SEC.

5 Likes

I would like for someone to show evidence that the SEC ever invited us. Never happened.1

1 Like

Butch, we’ve been bs’ing and lying to each other for years on this site. What is this “evidence” thing you are talking about? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Never gonna happen

Any factual article would help. I keep hearing this talk about us to SEC. Not that I have ever been in the know but never once heard a confirmed report that we ever got an invite.
But if it makes people feel good then I guess I should leave it alone lol.
Go Coogs!

MTH

Do you go to UH games?

I would hope that the sec viewership is better. They are placed on College Gameday every week and get the prime time slot, and play Bama and LSU and Georgia. They have their own playoff invitational as well. I would hope that with all of that, their viewership would be better than if they were forced to play ECU and Tulane on Thursday nights.

4 Likes

Butch:

I wasn’t around until the 80s but I sort of remember that some of our more trustable and grounded and good-headed older posters said that there was something firm a year or two before the SWC invite.

This happens often on UH Facebook groups but I laugh every time I see it. Inevitably, someone writes about how dumb Khator and the AD are for not applying to and/or joining the SEC or BIG. They honestly believe that you just pick a conference and join it.

2 Likes

I’m with Butch on this one. I don’t think that we ever received an invite.

I know there has been some talk on this board by at least one person I consider reliable, but my point is there was never any discussions on the radio or newspapers.
I was fairly close to all of our coaches along with Ted Nance (SID) from the late ‘60s and can honestly say I never heard a whisper from anyone until SWC talk started in early ‘70s.
Normally when something that big starts up it is virtually impossible to keep from press

2 Likes

You put UH in SEC and the TV numbers would be comparable with rest.

7 Likes

It was little before my time, but I thought we had invites from the SEC and SWC and CBY advocated for the SWC and that’s how we went.

2 Likes

To be honest most of the SEC members if not all hated us because we had black players in the late ‘60s so that’s another reason I highly doubt they talked to us.
When we played and tied Texas in ‘68 is when the rumors started about the evil empire perhaps wanting to sponsor us to SWC.
I met several recruiters from schools like Baylor, TCU , Texas and others and I can tell you the common theme was they were allowing us to join to control recruiting.
A Baylor recruiter whom I visited with at Brazoswood told me this
we have started recruiting black athletes but not one single black player at Houston qualified”
Heard so many other disgraceful shots taken at Yeoman and the Coogs.
They actually thought they were going to let us in and send us to the back of the bus.

4 Likes

They ain’t talking to us. We are ghetto to them.

I vaguely recall talk of UH and Miami to SEC in those times. This was discussed on this board, but it has been a while. I think there were docs shared etc. Was this true? Anyone else remember the discussion or have firsthand memories?

Our board may have been interested at one time but I haven’t ever seen any shred of evidence that the feeling was mutual

It would be cool if the SEC added Houston and Miami. Big 10 could not compete with that but its a pipe deam for us

1 Like

I’m afraid our fickle fans wouldn’t survive a move. We would get kicked to the curb after years of records resembling Arkansas. I get that’s not what fans want to hear on this board but our support absolutely must improve and I believe everyone realizes that.