Houston vs Northwestern State - Game 2 Saturday @ 6:30pm (W 5-4)

Top 9th

Roedahl gives up a 2 out walk, but that’s it

M9…Tied 4-4

Bottom 9th

Pinch hit lead off single by Craig Yoho. With 2 outs, Burckel chops one up the middle and it deflects into right which puts runners on the corners. And a Lovelace single wins it!!!

Coogs win 5-4!!

5 Likes

Wow! This series has been a close one! Back to back walk-off wins!

2 Likes

So far this year’s team a flair for dramatic. Good teams find ways to win, so maybe this is the beginning signs of a great year for UH baseball!

1 Like

This is a solid club they’re facing this weekend. Southland champs last year and returned most of their team. These will be quality wins at the end of the year.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1096984594144874496

1 Like

SHSU ran away w the Reg season Southland title in 2018. NWST won Conf tourney.

Was a fun game to be at even though I was the only one other than the baseball players that thought a short sleeve shirt was good attire for a night game in February.

Saw Dane Roy at the game, got a good laugh from him when I asked if it is true that players run around the bases the opposite direction in Australia. Claimed he had not heard that one before but was probably just being polite. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think we are settling. But that is not on Whitting. Most head coaches in all sports are as good as their assistants. Thank yous to Don Sanders and the Schroeder family for all they have done to improve on the facilities for baseball. Unfortunately, I don’t think we have enough big $ donors committed to baseball outside of these two gentlemen and families (I may be wrong here and if I slight someone it is only due to perception). Whitting lost two really good assistants to the SEC in Anderson and Couch. We are still seeing the benefits of their recruiting in this team. The jury is still out on Rooney and Shotzberger. We will have a better feel on them come next season as the team will be primarily their recruits.

2 Likes

Why in the world would anyone think that UH should be able to recruit better than UT, ATM, TT and TCU which all have much, much bigger program budgets, allowing for much higher paid coaching staffs, much larger recruiting budgets and much higher player benefits, etc.?

Now if someone is donating $5+ million/year to the UH baseball program, then they might have a right to such lofty dreams/expectations, but a typical fan just seems a bit delusional to me.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You left out conference prestige. Before Wichita State joined, Tulane was the only conference member to make a CWS appearance since 1979.

1 Like

Well w/o sounding delusional in my mind Baseball is more level playing field than obviously say Football when it comes to budgets for programs across the Country. Right here in UH backyard is a perfect example- Rice. For around 20 yrs Rice consistently was top 20 Baseball program and I seriously doubt their budget far exceeds/exceeded UH. It’s not like football where these teams have a $20-30 million head start just due to Conf affiliation. Several ex in area where Schools w small budgets have consistently had great Baseball programs- SHSU, Dallas Baptist. E. Car in our own conf year in year out has very good program, Coastal Carolina won College WS recently . It can definitely be done in baseball, basketball, track, unlike Football where too many other factors get involved. I do agree that recruiting plays a part and TW has been asst at TCU, UH and should be able to recruit better n compete w schools mentioned already for elite players in the State. Kinda in same place last 4-6 yrs. #StepUp

Nothing wrong w AAC for baseball. Just as strong or imo stronger than Conf USA and Rice recruted strong year after year playing in that Conf. FresnoSt won WS in last 10 yrs playing in so called smaller Conf. . You trying to step out with your emoji I see Shaggy.

Then add on baseball attendance averages: (2017)

Texas A&M 5152
Texas 5053
TCU 4786
Texas Tech 4163
Baylor 2129

Houston 1839

But yea, why would any player pass on playing in front of half as many fans on a team that hasn’t been to a CWS since before his parents were born? It must be the coach.

Now you are measuring our success or lack thereof by comparing us to Rice and Wayne Graham? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Your really reaching if you think attendance is going to be top priority for H.S. baseball players selecting Univ to go to. Now facilities, coaches, academics will certainly play a part but I put attendance way down the list. ACC conf teams like NC, LVille w dominant baseball programs last 10+ yrs are able to get elite H.S players in spite of their attendance avg of 1900, 2200 respectively.

I’d guess UT, A&M, and TCU all have baseball budgets at least 2X ours.

1 Like

HOUSTON NOTES
Offense:
• Lovelace’s walk-off single is the second for Houston is as many days. Hyland hit a two-run, walk-off home run against the Demons on Opening Day. Lovelace finished 2-for-4 with two singles, one RBI and one run scored.
• In total, four Cougars turned in multi-hit games. Joining Lovelace, Hyland and Burckel each went 2-for-4 with one RBI, while Triolo went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
• Bielamowicz’s two-run home run was his first hit of the season and marked Houston’s third home run of the season, all multi-run home runs.
• Yoho collected the Cougars’ first pinch hit of the season.

Pitching:
• Roedahl tossed one and two-thirds innings of scoreless, no-hit relief, striking out one and walking one in the win.
• Senior Ryan Randel tossed five scoreless innings in his start, before surrendering two runs in the top of the sixth. He finished with three strikeouts, two walks and two hit by pitch in the no-decision.
• Cougars Carter Henry, Tristen Bayless and Brayson Hurdsman also pitched in relief. Bayless gave up just one hit and recorded a strikeout in two-thirds of an inning for his Houston debut.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1096963551443410944
https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1096973404345794561