How long will UH accept MEDIOCRITY for its baseball program?

As I’ve asked before, why is Houston’s administration okay with the baseball program being mediocre year after year. Why is investments in UH baseball and facilities with minimal return acceptable year after year?

If a change isn’t made ASAP, UH baseball is going to get absolutely embarrassed in the Big 12.

8 Likes

In regards to baseball, I think Pez will accept Whitting as long as the season ticket holders accept him. I am going to write a respectful email expressing my concern. But he’s going to take one look at my CP history and see I’m not a serious player among baseball boosters. As he should.
Its the season ticket holders that will make the decision. I’m not agitating for people to go drum CTW. Because, thankfully, I don’t have to explain the cash flow in that department to Renu. And it may not be right for the school. But if the serious boosters think they’ve had enough they’ll let him know and there will be a change.

That’s kinda what I think.

1 Like

Baseball is a distant 3rd in money sports. I am sure the Athletic Dept wants better but I don’t know the money discussions behind the scenes. Whitting was AAC Coach of the Year in 2018 and his wife went through cancer treatments so I have a hard time advocating that he get fired but I will understand if that is what the AD decides should happen to better the university and its athletics.

2 Likes

Tilman may need to step in pretty soon and make the decision. I’ve heard him say “we expect to win at UH.” Baseball should be no different. Changes should be made soon.

3 Likes

It’s fish or cut bait. CTW is down to one year on his contract. You either extend him or fire him. You can’t leave a coach hanging on as a lame duck coach. It’s not fair to him or the program.

1 Like

At the Saturday night game of the UCF series at the end of the season, I sat in the first row of the bench seats closest to the stands entrance by home plate on the 3rd base side. I turned to my right and saw Pezman barely into the walkway looking up talking to someone in the stands exchanging greetings. I swear, it’s as if he was scared to walk into the ballpark and have everyone see him.

After he said his short greetings, he quickly exited and I never saw him again that evening. The game had barely started. I remember when Dr. Khator and her husband would frequent games and stay, greeting many fans back just 3 years ago. As others have alluded to, I wonder if baseball simply isn’t a priority right now, which is a crying shame.

5 Likes

Same as regular season. It has a women’s field hockey vibe to it. Same parents and fans every game. Same kids playing on the grass. Same concession attendant looking bored and checking their snapchat, screwing up Joe’s Coke Zero.

3 Likes

Maybe Khator will come in n over rule Pez and drop the Hammer. The UH Hammer :hammer:.

Edit: as another poster stated 3-5 yrs ago they would be at several of the gms I attended. This year I rarely even saw her even tweet abt a game.

1 Like

SMU hoops coach Jank went the distance on his contract and retired this year. Unless Allen is available and deemed worthy of whatever pay ($800k?), CTW finishes out his contract. The TX State coach seems no better than the #2 AAC coach.

1 Like

It would be his 1st HC job, so I doubt he would get near that. A wild guess, maybe $200k. Should he be hired and be as successful as I think he’d be, he’d probably get that $800k before he turns 50.

You think you’re gonna get him here with a pay cut?

How much does he make? I couldn’t find any info. I think Pierce makes in the $900k range, and Whitting around $500k. I could be wrong.

I found something saying $240K in 2018.

1 Like

Okay, so maybe he’d get close to what Whitting gets.

I think so. That said, I don’t think Todd is going anywhere.

2 Likes

Good to know SA is making that much. Little chance he’ll end up at a UT Arlington or such. Not that we couldn’t poach him from there when we do decide to do the right thing.

2 Likes

I noticed that too. I actually happened to be typing up an email because I was fed up with the concession stands.

1 Like

I actually finished sending him an email of feedback about the program. I wasn’t attacking or rude, but simply very sincere with my discontent and disappointment with the way that the program is NOT going in the right direction. I also made reference to Todd’s “exaggerated” statements in that video clip.

2 Likes

Good job. I did that too. I was actually way more courteous than my mind was telling me to be. I referenced the interview and said it made me feel like he thought I was naïve.

I know I’ve said this before but I almost think Pez doesn’t know the season is over.

1 Like

My only hope is that we are waiting until a candidate that is headed to a regional is available to pull the trigger.

2 Likes