How should CKS improve our FT shooting skills?

Seriously friends this has to get better.

2 Likes

I suggest you let Coach know. Probably not aware of the issue.

10 Likes

It’ll pick up during the year just like it did last year.

Ask Pearland.

4 Likes

Coogs shot 87% vs Dayton.

What more do you think they can do?

2 Likes

Of course CKS knows but this has to be pointed out. Bad FT shooting has had a major negative impact during March madness.

1 Like

I wonder how much our style of play effects both teams. Looking at the numbers under CKS, we are way more average than bad. Here are the numbers of our yearly FT% where it ranks and how our opponents shot. Also how we shot in the NCAA tournament and Conference Tourney + NCAA Tournament

That is 1 slightly below-average season 18/19 and 1 terrible year 21/22 out of 8.

We are off to a bad start this year, mainly due to guys who have shot historically well not doing so far this season. Dunn has shot over 800 free throws in his career and is an 80% FT shooter, this year he is shooting .619. Shead is shooting 20%! But has only taken 5 FTs. Sharp is a career 85% shooter and is shooting 79%. Mylik is a career 70% shooter, he is shooting 50%…

J’Wan, Javier and especially JoJo I don’t have much hope for.

3 Likes

I feel confident that this bad start is just a fluke. This should be our best FT shooting team. I think our percentage corrects and we end up around 73-75%.

3 Likes

Career #s

1 Like

Coach should dial down the defensive intensity so that when our guys get to the line, they will be more rested . . . . .

6 Likes

lol!!

1 Like

Maybe just use all allowed practice hours shooting FTs. We could score 4 more points at the line but give up 15 more points from the field…

1 Like

Have me come help them with free throws nothing to it, it’s all in the rythm and the wrist and the way the ball comes off the hand

I have coached high school basketball, I think RW has as well….

There are tons of different drills you can do and CKS and his staff obviously work on it….in years past we have had nutters on this board actually believe they don’t work on free throws….lol

I have a drill that was successfull with some of my teams….some more than others.

I would put two( sometimes 3)guys at each of the six goals……first guy at each goal has to sprint around the outside of the court, when they get back to their goal they have 10 seconds….we focus on getting our breathing under control, concentration on using legs, then shoot two free throws….next guy does same thing….this drill continues for 15 minutes….by the time they are done they can feel it.
When a player is going to shoot free throws 90% of the time their heart rate is elevated, breathing heavy….
We do this rather than just shooting free throw after free throw because we are trying to simulate the same conditions the will shoot them in the game.

Anyway, over the years there have been other coaches that have started using this drill….I like and the kids see results.

I’m sure CKS has drills that are 100 times better than mine.

3 Likes

That would be good, necessary good come tourney time.

sarkcoog

Dec '18

It was the Powerpoint presentation I gave to Sampson earlier this week. :sunglasses:

Maybe I need to go over the powerpoint presentation I gave him in 2018 on free throws. :sunglasses:

Sometimes making a huge emphasis on FT’s make you shoot worse. Becomes a psychological block.

1 Like