Hydrogen seen powering Texas economy

Editorial: Our jobs are bound up with the future of four hydrogen atoms and one carbon (houstonchronicle.com)

1 Like

https://x.com/TheFigen_/status/1707414805118611918?s=20

Hmmm . . . kinda like replacing batteries in your remote control.

HUV?

Natural (white) Hydrogen checks all the boxes. The last question is how plentiful is the natural hydrogen. We will know over the next 12 months but the early returns are very promising.

Many hurdles to overcome, but biggest may be “the delayed roll-out of hydrogen vehicles at scale”.

Hydrogen, as a consumer transportation fuel, is at least 10-20 years away from being
where EVs are today. And that’s assuming there are vast commercially economical quantities of white hydrogen deposits out there.

If not, green hydrogen will be created from excess renewable energy sources like solar, wind, or wave after supplying current electricity demand needs and power storage needs. If later scenario , hydrogen as commercial transportation fuel is probably 20-30 years out. And Sounds like the nuclear fusion time line as well.

Should be interesting to see how the billion dollar investments in hydrogen hubs plays out over
next few years. Looks like there will need to be a series of technical breakthroughs needed to get
there faster.

But the anti EV crowd have grabbed to this notion that the future is hydrogen to try and discredit EVs. lol.

Yeah, I don’t get the anti EV crowd. I want both. One is here today, with some limitations and
restrictions.

The other is dependent on the government $7 billion dollar hydrogen investment in the
hydrogen seed hubs to deliver a transition path in the future.

One needs to be careful of those that want to promote a green hydrogen future based on future breakthroughs; they may just want to thwart EV transition in progress so we are stuck with only the hydrocarbon solution.

Because you can’t run trucks and boats and planes and steel mills on batteries. Plus the electric grid is not green.

Hydrogen is our future but we have to prove that the natural deposits are really there. They strongly suspect they are but it hasn’t been proven. Then we have some pipeline and dispensing technology that has to develop (but that is the minor issue). The MAJOR issue is the existence of the natural deposits.

Plus EVs are an inferior product. The miles on a charge and the recharge time is just ridiculously inferior to gasoline vehicles. They are being sold as a green myth,

I guess if you say it enough, you start believing it. But that’s a lie. Out and out lie.

Have you ever driven an EV across country?

Is that all you got? lol.

Hiw long does it take you to charge the battery versus time to fill up your gasoline powered vehicle?

How much oil do we need to buy from our enemies until they have enough money to turn on us?

Hybrids are the best of both. EV for inner city trips, gasoline for longer trips. Plus, it’s good to know if you run out of one energy source, there is a backup plan.

1 Like

It is. I myself don’t have an EV but do have a hybrid.

This is pretty a good piece.

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/4269642-bring-hydrogen-out-of-the-shadows-of-the-green-transition/amp/

1 Like

I’d like to see a current breakdown of costs and total overall efficiency on hydrogen use as I’ve always thought it was kind of ‘fools gold’.

It seems to be to the ‘middle man’ in energy production/consumption. You need to produce energy in some other fashion, then produce hydrogen, then use hydrogen for energy.

Why not just skip hydrogen and use the first energy you produced? How could going through the extra step of producing hydrogen ever be more efficient than not taking that extra step?

Those aren’t sarcastic questions. I’m open to learn here.

Also, I think solid state batteries have the chance to change everything (for the better) for EVs and also energy storage.

It is fool’s gold if you are talking about green or blue hydrogen. Using energy to make hydrogen isn’t green because whatever energy you use, unless it is wind or solar, produces greenhouse gasses.

But natural hydrogen deposits that are being found around the world is the game changer.

If you can drill for hydrogen like you do for oil, then you have your next generation clean energy that can power everything that oil or coal powers.

If white hydrogen deposits are real, you skip the energy intensive step of splitting water by electrolysis or problems of creating CO2 from hydrogen with fossil fuel as feedstock.

If you have excess wind and solar capacity during the day, I could see excess capacity put
to work in generating hydrogen via electrolysis. Or you store the excess in batteries :slight_smile:

As transportation fuel it gets trickier . Can’t see liquified by cooling as realistic way to store hydrogen and that leaves compression. Compressed hydrogen has a 17% loss of energy from the compressing process and requires special compressors.

However, compression only consumes a third of the energy that liquefaction does. In addition to the cost of compressing hydrogen, the cost and weight of compressed storage tanks must also be taken into account. The cyclic loading of tanks, which tend to heat up as they are filled with compressed hydrogen, reduces tank life.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/compressed-hydrogen#:~:text=The%20compression%20of%20hydrogen%20is,et%20al.%2C%202009).