I agree with an 8 team playoff, however I will say this though

There are three (3) reasonable solutions…

1. Follow the FCS format. It works everywhere else in football. It is the fairest, most democratic formula to follow.

2. Sixteen (16) team playoff consisting of the following:

• five (5) P-5 champions
  • five (5) G-5 champions
  • six (6) highest ranked non-conference champions and/or independent teams.
  1. Eight (8) team playoff consisting of the following:
  • five (5) P-5 champions
  • one (1) highest ranked G-5 team
  • two (2) highest ranked non-conference champions and/or independent teams.

Of all the possibilities, I would prefer the FCS formula; otherwise the eight (8) team playoff formula would be the most likely scenario. Eliminate the meaningless conference championship game.

The 8 could work fine because Notre Dame takes one of the non conference champion slots. The only issue is if Georgia and Alabama play knowing they’d both get in what’s the point of the title game? Seeding? In basketball it’s fine because the physical impact is significantly different.

Also, how do you get P5 champions without a title game? Unless you just call it playoff round 1, then of course you have Notre Dame just resting the entire time.

I’m with this (although Notre Dame will be pissed about not hosting). Also agree with you that the next move will probably be to 6. Hell, might even be just 5 with a play in game. There will never be a drastic move on expanding the playoff. The bowls are still very profitable and college football is all about tradition. I think if they do expand the playoffs to 8, push it back to start Jan. 1. Make all bowls games end by Dec. 31st (other than the Rose Bowl), a big day of quarter finals on Jan 1, two more weeks of playoffs staying away from Sat-Sun when NFL playoffs are.

They could put a clause that if an independent (Notre Dame) is ranked top 4 they can host. I think that would be reasonable.

But lost in the arguments over the last week about whether the playoff should be four or eight and the hair-splitting bout whether four best teams actually means four most deserving is a structural problem with the sport that the Playoff was designed to solve but actually has made worse.

Since the inception of the four-team format, there have now been 20 playoff spots awarded. With Notre Dame making it for the first time this year, they have now gone to a grand total of 10 different schools.

2 Likes

I like this concept.

There are 10 division 1 college football conferences. The champions from all 10 conferences must be able to play for a national championship or else the playoff is not legitimate.

4 Likes

I agree with litigation to bust up this scam. You can twist it, shake it, think about it, debate it all you want. It is either litigation or a status quo until a 64 Teams league is created.
The cfp vote is the equivalent to a dictatorship presidential election without dead corpses. You know who is going to win before it happens. I am concerned that there is not enough uproar. It seams that people/fans are under the “influence” by letting this masquerade continue . The best case scenario is for bama to win & UCF to beat LSU.
The Michigan ranking is a stern warning from the cfp. What does it mean? An undefeated G5 Team is still lower than a P5 Team with two, two losses!!! It send another @#$@u to anyone thinking that a G5 Team has any business being part of the cfp or even an expanded cfp. Think about what an expanded playoff could mean with a G5? It would mean that realignment would come before you know it. Again, this has always been about money. If the money is distributed equally what is the point being in a P5? Maybe then could you see some geographical realignment.

The reason most Coogs don’t like the system is because effectively we are not in the system and neither is our conference.That message has actually been clear for some time but some folks refused to see it. Not because of scarlet covered glasses mind you but by the fact that we are not being invited to the dance. Are there prettier girls at the dance? Yes. Is it fair how the pretty girls get picked? No. Then what does an ugly girl have to do to get a date to the CFP?

1. Work hard. Learn to bath,cook and sew.
  2. Take Daddy’s money and get some work done at the body shop. (Car related)
  3. Complain like hell that we have what every man wants (muscles and a mustache).

It’s more likely the River Oaks girls (P5) getting picked and the suburban girls (G5) being ignored. The suburban girls are also attractive, but lack the River Oaks Country Club membership.

1 Like