I didn’t see this one coming 🥺

Believe me. There are MANY who don’t know. But having said that, I’m not completely sure it’s the duty of the police officer or concomitantly the government to inform citizens of that.

So in that case, is the deputy’s defense paid by SO
since it was in line of duty , or are legal costs and fines
solely responsibility of the deputy ?

As well as the person doing the arrest.

I don’t know all those details.

I do know, however, that Merrick Garland’s DOJ took up this Deputy’s case, given that federal law enforcement agents could have been sued as well had this case gone the other way.

Would have been bad for everyone…EXCEPT plaintiff’s lawyers.

Are you always so emotional in court with the yelling ?

My “EXCEPT” isn’t a yell.

When I use CAPS, it’s just for EMPHASIS (such as here).

I don’t think anyone is fighting you on this. I am really interested in your view. My son, an attorney as well, explained it much the way you have. However, you have practical and real world experience.

What about accountability?

Trust me. The DA, who may lose his/her case because of it, and their police bosses will give that dumbass cop all the “accountability” they need.

We don’t need plaintiff’s lawyers getting any richer than they already are off of it.

I will say this though. Cops don’t make much money. Even the elected sheriff in Washington County only has a five figure income…his deputies out on patrol make far less.

Anyone suing them isn’t exactly suing the people with the deepest pockets. They might not get much money out of them, even if they win.

My guess is that you would have to also sue the law enforcement agency, municipality, county, or federal department. Although they might, in theory, have some sort of sovereign immunity to protect them, they would be the only “deep pocket” that you could possibly get a large settlement from/judgment against.

Fortunately, the USSC made the right decision here, so the issue is moot.

How do you yell on a message board?

I know. What I mean is I bet they’re (public defenders) thinking the ruling will make cops complacent and not do the Miranda.

1 Like

Lol, you need to grow a thicker skin, lol.

You asked how to yell on a message board, and he provided a link that answers that question. I’m not sure how that translates to growing a “thicker skin.”

1 Like