IRS Doesn't Like NIL Collectives

But would it attract money in the form of people paying to watch, or corporate sponsors, to pay for itself ?

I honestly don’t know

Simone Biles is a big name, just like Carl Lewis, but way younger. I think Simone Biles would have a better idea on how to recruit younger women to the program.

Keep in mind, Livvy Dunne’s NIL money is specifically for her and not the entire team. Now I’m sure her surge in popularity helped bring eyeballs to the entire program, but I think UH could develop a solid program if they invested properly and brought in Simone Biles

Gymnastics Finishes No. 1 in Attendance In 2024 – LSU.

It’s safe to say that Livvy is responbile for atleast half of that

2 Likes

Not really. It was big attendance prior to her. She may have goosed it 20%, all males.

haha probably

That is an excellent point. Then clauses should be determined and put in place.

I just don’t see it changing

There is already a rule where if any player goes pro, then they cannot ever compete in college athletics ever again

NIL is 100% a form of sponsorship. Then when the schools start paying students you can then say they are pros.

Livvy gave the Miami twins a run for their money.

I know a lot of folks were saying this before nil. Has there been a single case of anyone being caught up in not paying taxes? Like anywhere?

Livvy Dunne is actually pretty talented if you watch her highlights

She kills it on the beam

She kills it on the beach too

1 Like

lol

Why? It is a scholarship. If the athlete paid it back, then the transaction would in effect become a loan; this would put the college’s not for profit status in jeopardy.

The reason the IRS doesn’t like NILs is because they don’t want donors using them as tax shelters; they could not care less about the athletes getting anything. Trust me on this, I am a tax lawyer.

As usual, too many people get irate about athletes that they forget who really benefits from all this: the schools and the college sports industrial complex, including ESPN, Nike, Fox Sports, the Bowl Games, etc.

I expect most players have advisers helping them with tax implications. Many of the larger schools are hiring people for that task.

Agree with East Coast that it is more about the collectives trying to pass off as non-profit. In reality there is no charity work. NIL is about paying a player for use of their likeness. Also paying a player to attend a school is not charity, just ego or pay to play (employment).

Set up a partnership with the spca and food bank sort of like a super pac where donations to those organizations are directed to UH NIL participants and problem solved.

1 Like

No longer Miami. One retired and the other transferred.

1 Like

Dang it, maybe I catch a women’s game when TCU comes to Houston.

If I shoot my shot, a 1 and 1 can turn into a double bonus
no pun intended.

1 Like

We ended up with Peyton Dunn and Damian Dunn yet missed out on Livvy Dunne.