Italy summer tour/Exhibition games Updated

If someone shoots poorly in their first 3 games with a team, they’re a poor shooter? Corey Davis Jr shot 2/12 from three in his first 3 games as a Coog against overmatched McNeese, Drexel, and Liberty. He finished the season at 43%. How are you so confident about Mills’ shooting skills after 3 exhibition games in Europe?

And where did the “elite shooter” goalpost come from? Who is calling him an elite shooter?

3 Likes

i already stated a longer explanation in the post right below the one you posted…i never said he wasnt a good shooter…

1 Like

I think that’s why he transfer to UH. He knew he had a few holes to his game and was going to sit a year and learn from one of the best coaches in the country. He knows with all the ball handlers next year, he will have to spot up like Armoni and bombs away whenever he is open for a high percentage shot for him. He will get much better overall in a year.

I disagree that a top D2 school is better than a bad D1, but even assuming ad arguendo that Sunshine’s St. Edward’s team was better than Idaho, Idaho was still playing against lower end D1 teams and that’s who Tyson put up his stats against. St. Edward’s was not.

And the fact that Idaho was so terrible makes Tyson’s efficiency numbers seem even more impressive. Putting up counting stats on a bad team is easier, but doing it efficiently is harder.

1 Like

that is not true at all or close…its the exact opposite…ive had this debate with ecu fans before about why gardener wasnt the second best player in the conference (which they argued)

how many teams do you think were game planning in detail to stop tyson and is 3-20 team?..and how tight of a defense do you think teams were playing against tyson when they were up 30??
and what type of physical elite defenders do you think are playing in the WAC?

@pesik u think Sunshine and Tyson are comparable as players ?? Lol

when did i say that…i just noted that stats from lower competition are deceiving to rely solely on…everyone here taught goesling would be a toop end shooter for us…
like how you are compared real height to listed height…

now you are comparing the reality of goesling to your fan expectations of tyson…

1 Like

and to this part specifically…we all expected him to be a great shooter…WE ALL DID…stating otherwise meaning you are the one moving the goalpost…

also i state, mills likely isnt the elite shooter we all were expecting…that is the start of the debate…how is debating that “moving the goalpost”, that the is original goal post people are debating about

We were hoping he was a great shooter but his lack of athleticism, length and better competition showed his short comings as far as Sunshine goes lol. Tyson has proven he is a solid scorer as a freshman in Idaho at 11 ppg and very efficient in the 3 pt line. There is quite the difference between D 1 and D 2 no matter how bad Idaho was, they did play a Div. 1 schedule.

Your points don’t have no facts behind them or close to it. You can’t make assumptions out of a scrimmage between a team lol. Tyson had 12 pts I think last night. He shot it well from 3 pt line against an actual opponent.

So when they beat Sacramento State and he went 5-8 from 3 you think Sac State was just like, “Go ahead and leave him open”? Same thing when he went 3-5 from 3 against Portland State in a two point loss? Portland State thought they’d just take the game off and leave one of the few real offensive threats wide open all game? That’s just nonsense. Sure in blowouts you might get some easier looks and teams might not be as up to play a lousy team. But at this level the teams take nearly every game seriously and game plan accordingly and Idaho was not losing every game by 30.

The quality of defenders in the WAC is of course drastically different than the AAC and Tyson will have to prove he can play at this level.

But comparing his shooting ability vs. Goesling is just crazy. For what it’s worth, based on the stats I initially thought at least Goesling’s 3pt shooting should translate, but I saw a few clips of him at St Ed’s and how he kind of loads his shot up and changed my opinion. He seemed to get really good looks because teams at that level feared his ability to penetrate so much. I haven’t seen any of the scrimmages yet, but some of the limited practice clips seem to indicate Tyson has a very, very smooth release, though it might be a little low, which could hurt him. He also shot 7.7 3’s per game and only 2.9 2’s per game, so I doubt he was getting any kind of space on his 3’s if it wasn’t created by someone else, circumstances or screens (or yes maybe laziness during garbage time).

Also the circumstances of how Tyson was recruited here vs. Goesling are drastically different. Recruiting Goesling late as a grad transfer after Davis decommitted was probably more to have another practice body with a great attitude who could provide depth in an absolute pinch. Signing Tyson to sit 1 and play 3 is very different.

I doubt Tyson ever gets serious run here. We’re bringing in Tramon Mark next year. With Nate and Caleb also in the backcourt.

1 Like

people just don’t know how to handle hypotheticals, pesik

1 Like

He might not. On paper we’ll have a lot of guard depth over the next couple of years, but you never know how these things will turn out.

1 Like

Don’t forget Jamal Shead & Sasser :sunglasses:
We’re going to be loaded in the guard position.

1 Like

Tyson won’t be playing point, ever. So, they being here having nothing to do with Tyson. He’ll be competing with Hinton, Mills, and Mark for PT.

I thought you meant the backcourt.

That doesn’t really make sense unless 1, and only 1, of Shead and Sasser will be on the court at all times without question, which I don’t think is accurate (i.e. Mark can run PG or Sasser and Shead might be on the court together).

I’m still shocked ECU fans thought Gardener was the #2 best player in the conference last yr lol

yes, as far a point totals and efficiency stats you can make an argument …if you removed all other context (which they did) they believed he was the second best player and the most valuable aac asset because unlike Cumberland he has more years of eligibility than him

no one added that ecu played a horrible non con, and no one cared enough about ecu to game plan that hard to stop him…

Grasping for a positive is what I call that.

The best case with Tyson is the year off allows him to transform his game but right now I don’t see him being a factor next year.

1 Like