James Harden gone from Rockets

We should have charged him.

1 Like

Not a big NBA follower, but does anyone else think this smells like the Cowboys trading Herschel Walker to the Vikings? Hope it works out for the Rockets like it did for Dallas back then.

1 Like

I hope so, but I doubt it.

Basketball is such a different sport. NBA - 5 starters/13 roster spots. NFL - 25-33 starters/48 gameday roster spots.

A massive amount of picks in the NFL is great! In the NBA it just becomes roster filler. The rule of thumb is that whoever gets the best player wins the trade. You don’t trade a dollar for four quarters.

The best we can hope is to flip the assets for a big dog that is disgruntled, or hope we get lucky with the wide net of so many picks.

That being said, it needed to be done. May as well recoup as best we can.

4 Likes

why would you read and reply
the title is pretty straight forward

4 Likes

This was a great trade for the Rockets 4 1st rd picks on top of a lot of cap space and 4 swaps(keep in mind KD, Beard and Kyrie all have played options after next season). NJ could get really bad in a hurry

3 Likes

Harden’s player option is for 22-23 Season which is what you might be saying. He has 2 yrs under Club control, which why Rockets weren’t desperate to let him go till he basically forced their hand n said ‘I’m done’

Hoping the moderators will take my suggestion and create another venue on coogfans for pro sports !!

Actually pretty simple.

2 Likes

I like the trade though. Rather have the picks n try get another Star through FA, rather than less picks n take on Ben Simmons etc.

2 Likes

My goodness get over it.

It is Houston sports and when something major happens there should be no issues having a couple threads on the most viewed forums.

10 Likes

No thanks.

i think it’s safe to say we’re not going to be great this year, but we can get a lot of contracts off the books in the very near future. I read yesterday that after this trade, we currently have $30M in cap space and another $80M coming off the books this coming offseason. If we can trade Eric Gordon for an expiring contract before the deadline, that would give us a max slot in the offseason. A max slot and a metric ton of picks could help build a really good team really fast if we want. Sure beats the heck out of clinging to Harden who obviously has no desire to be here.

1 Like

If we are bottom 4 in the draft we don’t lose our pick to OKC this year.

Gordon, Tucker and Oladipo are all great trade pieces for contenders.

3 Likes

I followed the Rockets when Akeem was there.

That’s usually right but future draft considerations are more like raffle tickets than 4 quarters roster filler. The draft considerations may produce a star on their own out of the picks. This trade is a lot different, but in the Nets-Celtics trade the Nets got more current talent but made one of the worst trades in NBA history. Those picks turned into Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum and the Celtics nearly put together a dynasty but had some bad luck.

Also, James is completely irreplaceable right now but in 2-3 years when he’s making $50 million a year his value as an asset on that deal might be close to nothing at that point.

1 Like

The Warriors built a dynasty. And never had a top 5 pick. Curry (7th overall), Klay (11th overall), Draymond (second rounder).

You’ll never be able to convince me that draft picks aren’t important.

The Rockets needed a major force inside. They did not do that.

Dallas fan?

The trade was not made for instant successes so who they got in return as players not as important as the picks.

2 Likes

It’s also pretty simple t just ignore posts that are obviously about pro sports, it doesn’t need another venue.

5 Likes