Joe Cauthen out as defensive coordinator, Doug Belk new DC

Coach v says he’s a homerun hire.

Hopefully it was the scheme that was lacking, but I cannot make any predictions.

Will have to wait until September. However, if our DB’s don’t look for the ball, then all bets are off.

CDH should insist on it !!

1 Like

I was curious so I looked it up.

UH turned the ball over 16 times this past year while the defense only took the ball away 6 times.

Only good news was that of the 3 fumble recoveries, 2 were returned for TD’s.

SIX times in 8 games !!

1 Like

He coached part of the secondary ,Etheridge coached the corners .

Corners looked better coached than the safeties at least against the pass.

1 Like

What has been obvious for so many years is that the defensive backfield looks a lot better when the DL can put pressure on the QB and not let him sit back and look for someone to come open. Given enough time, someone will always come open. So often last year, our DL allowed the QB’s to sit and wait. Notice when we were able to have the guy on a swivel, the completions went down. We faced some good teams with good QB’s and OL’s.

2 Likes

That goes without saying for any team, pressure on QB makes rest of defense by

Of course. That is a scheme that has to be coordinated. If you are going to blitz, tight coverage, etc.

My problem was that all to often, our safeties were only looking at the receiver and never looked for the ball. Sometimes you just get beat, but seemed to me that it was most of the time for us.

Thus, 3 interceptions for the entire year.

Gibbs and Orlando did it better although I thought Orlando’s defenses were better against the run.

JMHO

1 Like

I hope somebody steps in for Payton Turner

1 Like

That’s what I said.

Did Dana call the plays this past season, or Shannon Dawson?

1 Like

Orlando did it with Gibbs’ trained secondary. 2015 secondary were almost all seniors trained by Gibbs. In 2016, the secondary was all knew except for Howard Wilson, who was also trained by Gibbs. He had five interceptions and was hurt during the season. The team total was seven. Washington and Naviar were poor replacements to Spavital and Gibbs in the secondary.

4 Likes

Dana has stated that he calls the plays

1 Like

TO 's defense against the pass was helped tremendously by having the opposing QB running for his life most of the time.

1 Like

I seem to recall that during the Gibbs or Orlando time frame we had something called take away thursday or some such. Every offensive ball handler was issued a football oat the close of practice wednesday with instructions to carry it at all times thursday and return it at start of practice friday. Defensive players were given the task of trying to take the ball away. Friday the number of balls turned in by the offense and defense were counted and the squad with the most was declared the winner. Our turn over ratio that year was some incredible number like +25.

5 Likes

It was on Tuesdays the turnover drill they did I think

1 Like