Jose Abreu

He has a “hard hit” barrel rate in the 90th percentile of mlb as well as an exit velocity in the 90+ percentile…

Only reason his HRS dropped was his launch angle was a couple degrees low….he also just had his best strikeout ratio in his entire career at about 16%….

I think he’ll be really good….ala Nelson Cruz who from age 36-40 was an All-Star three times.

2 Likes

Even if we didn’t sign a single person Maldy would behind the plate ……too many people underestimate his defense and relationship with the pitching staff….it is a huge deal especially with the young guys.

1 Like

When does Crane hire Bagwell to be GM?

2 Likes

D0 not underestimate Yainer……I think this kid is a future All-Star.

Seen him in person multiple times…. He more than passes the eye test for me….I’ve coached several kids that were drafted, some in the first round….you can never say for sure….but I’d put money on this kid.

1 Like

As long as he has finance guys and analytics Guys I’m fine with it.

I hope Corey Julks is given a chance to play CF. Astros have a tendency to keep MiLBers down too long. Example: George Springer.

Unfortunately his best chance will be somewhere else kinda like Teoscar….also, I believe he was playing a lot of 3rd base last year.

In an interview yesterday Crane did not mention Brantley, just Verlander and Yuri

They’ve been pretty consistently saying they’re taking a “wait and see” approach with Brantley, which tells me that there’s concern over his rehab progress.

1 Like

Maybe but Reynolds would be huge for a repeat now and a long way from FA.
"Stros could double his salary right in exchange for a few extra seasons.

I could be overestimating how could good he will be in his prime ?

You could be right.

Reynolds could turn into that next level type player…. I have been promoting a trade for Reynolds or Mullins for several months.

With the Orioles on the upswing I thing Mullins is out of play….Pirates know that Reynolds values is at an all time high right now……
Also remember, between Barber, Cerny, Melton and of course Gilbert all due in the next 1-3 years….I think two of them become starting big leaguers.

1 Like

We can’t do that without first giving up a ton of current players just to pull him out of Pittsburgh. Don’t see it happening, especially if they look closely at his production trends. I’d love to have him, but he’s not a sure thing superstar.

1 Like

Baggy said he doesn’t want to be GM. I think he likes is advisor role better.

Agreed.

He ain’t trying to work that hard… Advisor you just come in and give your opinion… No stress, no responsibility, no long nights and days away from your family…

And you get the best seats in the house apparently…

1 Like

Hopefully never

Springer’s K rate was still astronomically high in 2012 (33%) and had we called him up, then we would have lost a lot of service time with him due to Super 2 rules.

Based on the rules then, there was no point in calling him up when we were churning out another 100 loss season. Had we done that, the. We might not have him for 2018 or 2019.

McCormick’s power numbers slid last year, but what was encouraging was his K rate came down over 6% and his BB rate went up nearly 4%. Hos defense is also really good. I’m not looking for a CF to round out this team. I’m looking for better bench/utility hitters (ours were absolute trash last season) and an upgrade at catcher.

If Yanier Diaz is a bench guy, then you can sign Contreras to be an everyday player at catcher and DH and resign Maldy. That gives you 3 catchers on the roster and a ton of flexibility with your lineup.

Deal Kory Lee and Pedro Leon for a future SP.

2 Likes

I love Brantley but if we are looking for a semi everyday LFer, there are better options. Brantley really is a DH at this point in his career.

It all comes down to Brantley’s shoulder. Has it healed? They aren’t going to know until Feb/Mar. So they’re not going to sign him until they know he’s good to go. Will another team sign him before then? Who knows.

If they do sign him, I see him and Yordan switching off between LF and DH. Brantley is on record wanting to come back but at what $?

I’m concerned that this is the 2nd surgery he’s had on his right shoulder. The 1st time back in '16 he played 11 games and then missed the rest of the season.

If he’s healthy the dude is clutch, good lefthanded bat, is a good mentor to his teammates, and is very well thought of in that locker room.

2 Likes

Contreras talks are happening, but they’re talking about potentially putting him in LF?

I don’t know about the defense, but adding Conteras and Abreu to our line-up sounds like a pretty good plan to score more runs.