Kellen Sampson, Assistant Head Coach - thread

Probably not comparable but maybe it is. I was fortunate to have my son join me in our law practice. I was a pretty good trial lawyer winning some major cases and verdicts. I was doubly fortunate. We tried some cases together with good results. I tried to teach him everything I knew. He picked up some things on his own. I retired some 14 years ago and took up teaching at our law school. The point is he became a better trial lawyer than I ever was and has gotten bigger verdicts than I ever did. I know Kellen has worked hard, spent time tutoring individual players, recruiting, scouting. I believe when his time comes he will be ready and don’t be surprised if he builds some additions on the house his father built

10 Likes

Jim - great analogy and I hope that it works out exactly that way for Kellen here at UH!

If we told Sampson that Kellen is the CIW then we honor that. Period. There might be more experienced coaches out there at the time but you honor your word.

I think the whole family has committed to the school. Kellen will be a bit riskier than some but it will be a risk worth taking…IMo.

He will have spent ____ years training for the job.

3 Likes

Absolutely.

3 Likes

Not to mention there’s no vetting Kellen Sampson. We know exactly what his character and history is. That’s important these days.

4 Likes

All we are missing is a couple of Natties!
I believe they are coming.

4 Likes

I want Kellen.

I want the culture.

I want the fact that he has been by his fathers side every damn second since he has been here.

No one else besides him can put that on their resume.

7 Likes

3 Likes

In this video he mentions he coached 5 1st round picks and 5 2nd round picks

(5) 1st rounders

*Blake Griffin (Oklahoma)

*Quentin Grimes (Houston)

*DJ White (Indiana)

*Eric Gordon (Indiana)

*Jordan Crawford (Indiana)

(5) 2nd rounders

*Willie Warren (Oklahoma)

*Tiny Gallon (Oklahoma)

*Damyean Dotson (Houston)

*Taylor Griffin (Oklahoma)

*???

He said 4 of 5 second rounders didnt love it the same way. Im assuming no shade is being thrown at Damyean Dotson

2 Likes

One thing that sets Sampson and UH basketball apart from other non blue blood schools is consistency and sustainability. Every year there are a couple schools that exceed expectations and make it to an elite 8 or so. However, the next year(s) they are back to the norm, decent team but nothing special. Sampson has UH being that team for 5 or so straight years, and virtually all of those teams lost the core of their players. That is a very special coach.

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/AriA1exander/status/1521997137503993856

2 Likes

There is an opening at Evansville now…

Point?

EDIT: Do you think Kellen should go there? That’s a huge step down.

Bet your arse he was better :muscle:. Clyde the Glide Drexler. Top 75 player of All Time.

He would never leave to be a “ Purple Ace”….

Rodney Mc was a really great role player. Great defensively and could defend multiple positions and tough as nails. Solid midrange shot but one of the strangest shots I’ve have ever seen.
Obviously no Drexler but gets under appreciated here due to us passing on Drexler in the draft. Traded him at the right time. His knee didn’t have much left and we eventually used Otis Thorpe who was acquired for Rodney Mc and Jim Peterson to bring Clyde home in 95.

2 Likes

If Kelvin sticks around after Kellen is HC like Brown at Memphis to help bring him along, we may have a scenario that works quite well, keeps momentum going and is attractive to recruits. Keeping the other coaches around is critical as well, esp. strength coach.

4 Likes

Kelvin will always be there for advice when asked. But I don’t see him actively being involved which would take some shine off Kellen’s achievements.

3 Likes
9 Likes
1 Like