Kelvin Sampson, 12/10 media availability

Training for my temp job ended in time for me to make it to Coach Sampson’s media availability this morning.

Coach Sampson previews Wednesday’s matchup against Texas-Arlington; improvement in his team from November to December; and more.

11 Likes

CKS gives me the impression that his answer will always be involved regardless of what you ask:

Interviewer: “Coach, what is the reason for the improved defense from Game 1 to Sunday?”
CKS: “Experience…” followed by 5 mins outlining how simple it is.

vs

Interviewer: “Coach, obviously experience is resulting in better defense. Are you surprised by how quickly they have turned it around over the first few games?”
CKS: “Well, I am not sure it is that simple. These freshmen are kids that didn’t start playing basketball when they got here. They have experience. I am not sure why you think they lacked experience after a lifelong pursuit of basketball. They played in some very solid high school programs and one of our kids played at Kansas. You have heard of Kansas basketball, right? …”

Don’t take that the wrong way. He seems like a fun interview but I have encountered enough people that like to make things more involved than they should be on the surface. I should know because I think I am one of those people.

Nice job Kris!

3 Likes

No matter what questions yall ask CKS has his word of the day he’s gonna talk about. Yesterday it was experience.

Culture
Effort
Rebounding
Defense
Attitude

There’s others.

1 Like