Kelvin Sampson breaks down Houston's roster, led by return of Marcus Sasser

Yes 2023 is what I meant

4 Likes

side note i think the author mixed up the seasons when sampson said 2019 season, in the 19-20 season we didnt have center by committee… fabian wasnt in a rotation, but the unquestioned 4, harris by midseason had established himself as the starting center, and freshmen was his backup…

i think sampson said 19 season… and meant 18-19 season, where we did have a 3 way center rotation, with breaon, harris and greshmen and none of them getting more than 13 minutes

my hot take from reading this is that we are going to try and bring in a center, but just holding out to see if quality shows up… he doesnt feel confident in reggie enough to say he is the guy, but notes the 1 center he does like might be a year away… there is obvious intentions to compete for a national title this year. … i think if by late summer if no one of note has enter the portal, we might just get a lower level 1 year big who is experienced

Think Ramon and Javier are prime candidates for redshirt if Powell can get decent minutes?

Ramon maybe

Javier, i dont see him redshirting

Javier was ahead of Powell last year, on the depth chart. So would Powell jump Javier this year.

Javiers shot blocking will come in handy this year

2 Likes

I noticed he’s listed at 6’7" 180lbs. That’s two inches taller and 5lbs lighter than Deeky was. I agree that Arceneaux has some development to do, physically, before he can play regular minutes.

1 Like

Already happened !

So next sesson is not this year? I’m just messing with yall

my take from all of this is that Arceneaux is going to surprise a lot of people this year

2 Likes

So guys can still enter the portal and we can still add for this season?
My hot take is we’re not adding anybody else that can take minutes from these guys.

Grad transfers are expected to be granted eligibility even with a late entry
Regular transfers will likely need a waiver

Note we are expecting mylik to be eligible and he needs a waiver

Illinois grad transfer grandison only entered the portal last week, and most are expecting him to start for duke.

and i think sampson definitely wants to bring in someone to compete for the minutes… he was bragging about a front court addition only a few weeks ago (we obviously know it was lofton now)… just 2 weeks ago said he wasnt closing the door on adding another player, in the same interview made a joke that we had too many guards (so we know its not about adding a guard) and wanted to see what “popped up” …and in this interview called powell and francis projects, and Francis who he is most excited about said he might be a year away. when we are contending for a ship this year…

i think the desire to have someone take their minutes is there… its a matter of who is available … if memphis gets hit with a postseason ban and Malcolm Dandridge use as a reason to enter the portal, i dont think we hesitate on recruiting him (as a hypothetical, not saying it happening)…

3 Likes

with arcenueax i think its just about finding his place…from the pictures today he was paired with the guards not the bigs, 2 days ago sampson grouped him with the bigs not the guards …

i think when he finds his place he could take off tho

1 Like

I think we are going to see a lot of small ball lineups. Walker/Roberts at the 5 with a bunch of options to mix and match.

2 Likes

At this point I am not focused on any potential transfers. I e have OUR team and it looks very good. If anything happens I will think about it at that point

4 Likes

The Athletic puts out better articles on the Houston Cougars than the local newspaper (looking at you Houston Chronicle)

2 Likes

The Houston Press usually puts out better Coog articles than the Chronicle.

1 Like

i think so, especially early season games … if we are tight game with bama or viriginia… i have a hard time seeing us relying on powell and francis so early … nor wanting chaney in there for 26mins

because they specialize in basketball, while its 1 for all sports with the chron … wichita beat writers are leagues better than most because they are basketball junkies

our guys report news, while basketball people report news and add implications … (ie, this player is one of the best defenders, paired with this other player adds …)

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/status/1481022054036127746

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/status/1481020058465968135

TA is still very raw. Sampson said earlier in the year that he has a lot of work to do on his body and we know his skill needs to develop. He’s very gifted and a REALLY smart player, he will be elite in a couple years

I was impressed with the play of Roberts. Just watched(again) our Arizona game and Roberts did well against The Wildcats’ 2 seven footers.

Predict that Roberts starts. With Chaney or Walker. Probably Walker.

Though not 6’10” Roberts jumps like he is.

2 Likes

Not too concerned about who starts. That will all workout itself. We have three guys we know will play. The interesting part to follow will be how much the 4th and 5th bigs see the court. Also be interesting to see how smoothly JW can slide into a big min role. Then there is the question about how much small will we play using 4 guards.

1 Like