Kelvin Sampson statement on recruiting applies to BB and FB

Unfortunately Dana doesn’t come across as a likable guy in public. That doesn’t help him in the PR department. He was always getting three full years regardless. I think this year will be dramatic improvement. But what do I know. I thought Applewhite would be a decent recruiter.

3 Likes

I don’t need you to edit my post, but thanks anyway.

11 Likes

I love it when someone displays some “common sense” on Coogfans . . . . .

3 Likes

Always thought this was a completely absurd take. Of course people would rather be wrong and have a great season and great future for UH football. Little or no evidence points to that, however. Some people have more hope than others, but that hope isn’t rooted in actual facts or evidence. The facts are that managing a 7-5 season would represent a HUGE step forward for this coaching staff.

7-5? With this schedule? No way, we will do much better than that.

I think Renu would look at a 7-5 season and consider it disastrous at this point. I think it would be looked at differently if we’d just joined a p5 conference but a 7-5 record in your third year in the AAC, while an improvement, would not be celebrated at the administrative level.

But we ain’t going 7-5. It will be better.

3 Likes

This is a good league and EVERY team has comparable talent. Whether players are a good fit and coaches can get them to run their system is another subject, but no in-conference opponent on this schedule is a gimmie.

That said, we will soon see who understood what type of preparation it takes to hold AAC hardware at the end of the season. As it stands, only one coach has done it, and his team is not on our regular season schedule. Coogs will win the conference this year. Bank on it!

2 Likes

So many seem to assume that all the other teams will be just the same as last year, and only we will get better because they stayed bad. Past performance does not guarantee future results in stocks or sports. How many worse to first have their been? A bunch. I expect all teams to improve – especially with the portal – and will be better than many seem to think.

I also expect the Coogs to play in the AAC championship game, and win it.

2 Likes

You think this for football or basketball?

2 Likes

Both actually.

3 Likes

Making the conference championship would be fantastic. We are going to need massive improvement at the QB position and offense generally for that to happen. Most importantly - we were one of the worst in the country at turning the ball over. I think we are likely fourth or fifth in conference but hoping for the best. Maybe it takes Holgi three years to get his offense working.

You don’t believe that I expect that? Gee, I am surprised to find out someone else knows how I think more than I do.