Khator and Fertitta will fix this

I’m less worried about who we can attract. I think we will have guys lining for the job and will believe they can win here. That said, I understand your concern and it’s definitely not ideal.

Khator is great and we love her at UofH. 2 out of her 3 football hires have been horrible. Levine and Applewhite. Am I mistaken or is that accurate?

I wouldn’t call them her hires but it’s right that 2/3 hired while she was prez haven’t worked out.

Pretty much nailed it. It’s in a pickle for sure right now BUT Applewhite brought this on by QUITTING in that garbage game…that dawg ain’t gonna hunt. IMO if they go out and get a young hard charger and just be up front “hey it’s going to take a couple years to get this back on track”, Coog Nation will buy in…PS- please hire a defensive minded HC----good, tough defenses wins championships

Again…we need to target Tosh Lupoi if we haven’t already contacted him.

This is the worst situation to be in for all parties involved…talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. If we were to make a change I would prefer us to hire someone with succesful head coaching experience instead of a coordinator. W’eve tried the internal hire etc.

We have been told that we should be no worse than a 10 win program and maybe a NY6 game every year mainly because we are located in fertile recruiting grounds. We expected to be the Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson of the G5s, no worse than a top 3 G5 program. Those are high expectations but that is what has been sold to us by the media and our administration and that is what we believe.

Our administration needs to have contingency plans for the HC position. Not so much as Khator and Fertitta since they have some much on their plates but Pez needs to have a short list of potential head coaches at the beginning of every season.

I don’t understand why there wasn’t enough quality coaches to pick from after Herman. Maybe UH was offering too little. They may need to offer a good P5 coordinator $2M-$3M to be HC and $800k-$1M for the coordinator positions. There is no excuse. Pez should be looking this spring at potential candidates for the HC job in 2020.

1 Like

Each day of inactivity that goes by after the Army debacle makes me believe that CMA ain’t going’ nowhere.

1 Like

It’s probably too late to find a quality HC.

1 Like

Never seems to be too late to hire a coach when they’re leaving UH.

They normally hire head coaches before the bowl game.

Would not surprise me at all if CMA still has the title of HC Houston Cougars for the 2019 football season. I say this because, I think there was a new DC and new OC already lined up before the Army game. If that was not the case, our problems ho much deeper than just the HC. DC was already gone, and we had to already know that the OC was also gone. Filling those positions should have been well under way. The Army game surely gave our administration reason to pause, but they are likely to move forward with those hires rather than a wholesale turnover at this point. In a nutshell, unless a really stellar candidate has reached out and is willing to bring his complete staff, we’ll stand pat on the current HC fir at least another year. Imo.

1 Like

I tend to believe this is true. I just hope that the Army massacre coupled with certain post-game Twitter comments doesn’t have our likely DC and OC replacements getting cold feet.

That is a significant concern here also.

Could the school be concerned with buyouts for tentative deals with coordinators or does the BoR have to approve before the contract is official?

I’m sure that the Army massacre will have given any candidate(s) reason to pause about being an OC or DC under CMA at UH at this point in time. With such a high degree of uncertainty, that just seems like plain common sense to me.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Agree, we are going to punt to next year which is going to set us back another year.

It’s being handled about as well as it was when he was hired which is not inspiring at all.

1 Like

It wasn’t a cheap out issue. It was Tilman’s hurt ego, that got us Applewhite. He wanted to prove Houston wasn’t a stepping stone and his buyout clause scared off some of our best candidates.

4 Likes