Kingsbury and CMA postgame transcripts

Has anyone counted the number of missed tackles? I stopped out of frustration when I got in the 20s.

3 Likes

The best Coaches utilize their players best abilities. The entire Coaching staff know what they have. We have had miss matches for two seasons now. We have known about our schedule for years. It comes back to two basic things. I see it as a recruiting issue & putting in a system that does not suit our personal. Our record speaks for itself. Let’s look at our past losses under D’Onofrio
t-tech 27 points against
Tulsa 45 points against
Memphis 42 points against
Tulane 20 points against
Fresno State 33 points against
t-tech 63 points against
We all know what t-tech, Memphis and Tulsa have in common. Furthermore none of these Teams are World beaters. Look at the losses that t-tech incurred this past season. We did not come close to what they did to t-tech. It is obvious that we have major defensive issues. The fact is that I do not see any improvement under D’Onofrio from last season. CMA & D’Onofrio had the entire off season to address glaring defensive issues. These issues have not been resolved or at least lessened. That is the hard fact.

3 Likes

This is the biggest issue. Playing a soft coverage against Tech was not a bad idea IF tackles are made. We have to find the best scheme and best play calling to use our guys to the best of their abilities. No point playing off a big WR if there is going to be a missed tackle pretty much every play and you can’t defend a simple slant. Have guys jumping routes and playing more aggressive so you can at least get a turnover every now and then while getting burned some plays.

Our issues with the LBs and secondary are very real though. No body really have that natural instinct to get to the ball. I don’t think our position coaches are doing a good job at all. Those are the guys who should be working with players on angles, attacking the ball, and tackling every practice. Some players need to be moved to different positions too. I think a guy like Stuard should be used more as a blitzer, he seems to be one guy who can fly around and make plays. Not sure about him as a nickle corner, could be more valuable as a safety or even as a LB. Also doesn’t seem like we have done any blitzes right up the middle, or did I miss all those? Seems obvious to have a guy come through there to not let them easily double Oliver and is the quickest way to the QB.

I think right now with our talent at secondary it is either soft coverage and death by a thousand cuts or try to jam them jump routes and we get the big cut and give up the big play.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone cares if he does it publicly. He just needs to do it at practice, and especially during half time when it’s not working. The offense made too much of a leap to allow CMD to derail this team. Changes need to happen, and it doesn’t matter how they are made.

Disagree for the same reason we were in this situation. If you’re giving up 5 yards+ of cushion while playing man then there are going to be opportunities to get the ball competed. Then if said team lines back up the next play, throws another short pass to the other side and it’s completed, that’s an automatic first down. We missed tackles but the issue was allowing the ball to be completed in the first place. Look at the amount of completions Bowman made. Now imagine that each of those was at least 5 yards.

1 Like

When you have trouble at the base the leadership is always responsible. I am
not going to blame the kids. No way!

3 Likes

Different personnel and different talent levels call for different schemes.

Besides beating us, what does tulsa have in common with TT and Memphis?

I could be wrong but I’m inferring that you’re saying they’re all passing teams. Tulsa was a running team with 1000 more yards rushing than passing. Against us they had 128 yards passing and 288 rushing

I’ll help. A head coach that can out-smart out DC.

They are a running team, but Montgomery is from the Malzahn tree. He can be very creative on offense.

Montgomery is not from the Malzahn tree. He coached with Briles almost his entire career until going to Tulsa (including HS).

2 Likes

I umderstand now. Probably more than those coaches, but we out athlete sone of them.

Basically we seem to be running a version of the preevent defense. The question I have is when has that ever walked? The only time it seems to work is when you don’t care if the other team drives the field as long as they take time off the clock. But when you’re using that sort of defense the entire game consistently allowing long drives. Forget about UofH for the moment and just think of other teams that utilize a prevent defense even ones that are known as great tackling teams. They always give up long drives but are willing to sacrifice yardage for time. I just don’t think this is a style of defense that can be successful even if we were great at tackling. Simple math will tell you that 5 to 8 yards per completion will not stop the other team.

lol Good call. I got him mixed up with Norvell.

We do, and it’ll show on offense, but unless we can make diving tackles (too soon?) to prevent giving up 5 yard completions every play, it doesn’t matter. Teams will find success at a much higher rate. We have to start taking some chances on defense.

1 Like

If UH plays the same defense 3 rushing and 8 in back Tulsa is going to ripped us a new one.

1 Like

lol We will. All with the hopes that we can tackle before they pick up the first, or their WR’s drop the ball. New year. Same story.

1 Like

This DC is apparently going to do exactly that Pearland, and that is exactly what Tulsa will do to us.

First off, soft coverage does not mean automatic huge CB cushions. It is having safeties over the top and trying to keep everything in front of you. Your examples don’t make sense. So the corners just stand still waiting for the WR to get to them to tackle? Playing off the WR allows the CB to read the QB as well as the WR and break on the ball faster. There is no automatic yards from it. Good CBs will make a play on a quick throw near the line even with a cushion. If you play press it doesn’t automatically eliminate short passes either. With press coverage the CB is going to have to turn quicker to avoid getting blown by and it sets up wide open slants and curls a lot of the times.

It all depends on the players you have and what they are better at. Johnson probably is better in press since he is bigger and has excellent recovery speed. A guy like Stuard is better with a cushion because he breaks on the ball fast and doesn’t have as good of coverage skills, same as when Trevon Stewart was here and why he was moved to safety to just make plays and be in less man coverage. Don’t act like there is one size fits all. We pressed almost all game against Rice and kept getting beat.

2 Likes

What are you even saying? Where did I say soft coverage meant automatic huge CB cushions? Quote it. I was stating that soft coverage in the context of what CMD does. I also didn’t say they stand still and wait for the ball to be completed. Again, quote me correctly (there’s a button for that). Given what has happened the receiver is given a clean release and the ball can be completed at a much higher rate due to that. Playing off the WR does not mean they have the opportunity to break on the ball faster. They are literally out of position when the ball is snapped. Depending on the direction of the release, they will have to recover(hopefully they have the speed and coverage skills to do so). I also didn’t say playing pressed man allows an automatic incompletion ( strawman everywhere). Playing man-up (pressed man) coverage allows us to add an additional variable to the equation because if the DB can run with the WR (after the jam) then the QB has to account for the DB In the vicinity; all instead of clean releases on cushioned man, or combo-man-zones that CMD runs. I think you might need more experience with what football is before coming at my points.

I’m going to agree with you on the Johnson point but we need to pump the breaks on Stuard. He has shown very little. He’s not explosive, and lacks top-end to run with any player on the field. And I have yet to say that all sizes fit all (another strawman reach). I suggested multiple ways in which this defense can improve. As a matter of fact you can go and look back at some of the things I said last year, would be a problem this year, only to find out people are regurgitating it verbatim. Seems I’m a step ahead of you CMD sympathizers as Kingsbury was. And we struggled against Rice because it was the first game, and it was an offense that was predicated on play action. Yet we also played combo-man and the zones in the middle were we exposed as much as the outside shots. It’s a number of different things. Nothing has worked. But hey we’ll look good versus Tulsa and Navy.