Kyle Postma - our leading rusher

We had 3 points in the second half all year until Postma came in and we got those 14 garbage time points against Tech’s prevent defense.

Make that 2 points on a safety

Even worse a safety is a defensive score so we had been shut out on offense.

Like was pointed out. The offense actually scored no points in the second half all year. Not sure how that goes against what I said about us not being able to beat Arizona and Tech but we can beat others. Unless your implication was that when we were up 38-0 against Rice, their defensive backs finally got faster than our receivers.

We need to stop this run to the left, run to the right then screen pass offense. We need a coordinator with creativity and innovation. This guy is not a division one coordinator and needs to go back were he came from and let the guy under him have a shot. At worst we will have what we have now and at best we may find some talent.

1 Like

I dont have a problem with a run based offense, but the run pass option is not going to work without a run threat from the QB. It’s like running the triple option without a decent FB. Without that threat, you can key on the other parts. Either have to change the offense to fit the talent or change the QB

2 Likes

Just to be clear, we were down 13 to 3 and midway through the second quarter before we ever gave the running backs the ball on 1st and 2nd down. There was another time earlier in which we had a 2 yard run on first down and then tried to do an end around with King that lost 4 yards. Not exactly the same thing as you described.

We started the game with two consecutive (successful) running plays.

Next 2 running plays were back to back 2 yards and -4 yards

1st and 10 at HOU 25
(14:50 - 1st) Kyle Allen pass complete to John Leday for 7 yds to the Houst 32
2nd and 3 at HOU 32
(14:20 - 1st) Dillon Birden run for 5 yds to the Houst 37 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at HOU 37
(14:07 - 1st) Kyle Allen pass intercepted Dakota Allen return for 10 yds to the Houst 32

That was the third series and King on a sweep doesn’t count as a traditional running play.

In this offense it is

3rd possession in the first quarter, then. Whatever. Doesn’t really mean anything either way.

Our offense sucked until they put a legit QB in the game. The play-calling wouldn’t change the fact that Allen’s decision-making and execution of routine plays was awful. He’s just not good enough.

1 Like

Allen is never going to be a run option QB so calling plays that rely on that are not setting the team up for success

1 Like

Honestly, calling plays that require him to deliver the ball on-target with any consistency won’t set the team up for success, either. He repeatedly missed on easy throws. He’s just not the guy.

That happens when the D is rushing 6 up the middle and putting your 3 receivers man to man. Gibbs saw what happened when Arizona did it, either the QB panics and makes bad decisions or we run between the tackles. Either way… as an opposing defense you win. You either stop the run up the middle or cause the QB to throw errant and create a turnover. Win win.

3 Likes

I’m with you NTX. Wasn’t there conversation on this board about possibly having TWO hundred yard rushers against Tech NOT including our QB much less that QB being Postna? Lots of delusional Koolaide drinkers here (yesterday).

I’m fine with that. Being unrealistic about the future sometimes is part of being a fan. Ignoring or excusing things that have actually happened is a little tougher to me to listen to

2 Likes

I guess we differ slightly in our opinions because I think it’s silly to say we are a National Championship team when we aren’t playing that kind of competition in that kind of conference and the prospects for the future seem to exclude us. Denying that is part of the problem in my humble opinion.

They are not really garbage points when an onside kick recover, one good pass play and a FG could tie the game.
Hell, if we don’t fumble the punt return we Miya win the game in “garbage time”.
Did anyone consider Greg Ward’s comeback against Pitt “garbage time”?
Or any of the comebacks by Case Keenum, were they “garbage time”?
If there is time on the clock, with an opportunity to tie or win it is not garbage time.

1 Like