Lady Coogs Advance in WNIT!

Haters gonna hate till they die. :smirk:
#GoCoogs!

Who is Linda blair, the girl from The Exorcist. They could at least look up Laila blairs name to get the spelling correct. I am happy that teh girls are winning in the NIT. But i still think they need another coach moving into the Big 12. In 8 years no NCAA trips with plenty of talent. Time to move forward in my opinion.

If we are smart enough, we will make a change now. The WNIT is a trap and obscures the overall lack of success against good competition as well as not making it to the NCAA tournament all these years.

I plan to write to our AD on this.

Last week, I contacted Chris Pezman and the SWA (Senior Women’s Administrator). No response from them. I mentioned to them the UH women’s basketball program is not ready for the Big 12 on the court nor in attendance.

Sunday’s game versus Tennessee Tech had an announced attendance of 312. The average home attendance is 368.

Point of comparison: Coach Hughey and Coach Sampson were both hired in 2014. UH women’s basketball has not reached the NCAA Tournament since 2011.

Celebrating advancing to the Sweet 16 of the WNIT in YEAR EIGHT of the current coaching staff says a lot about the expectations for UH women’s basketball.

1 Like

#GoCoogs!

1 Like

1 Like

Tuscaloosa

#TipATrashCan

2 Likes

Well go lady Coogs!

Great job Lady Coogs. Keep building!

Sorry but how long exactly has this program been building.
Love the Coogs and Hughey but this program is nowhere near where it needs to be.

1 Like

The head coach needs to go. He is no good imo.

1 Like

If we don’t have a lot of ladies transfer out, the team should be very mature next year. Like the guys, they need to get much better at the FT line, but I’d like to see the coach return for next year to see if he can get them over the hump.

I agree that the program should be farther along, but I also see how softball and volleyball are doing. And it’s been a long time since coach Curl led the ladies hoops to the NCAAs.

I don’t know anything, but I have a feeling next year the ladies will turn the corner. Here’s to hoping it happens.

Go Coogs

1 Like

Every other coach deserves the same leash he has -

That’s a long leash to give him another year. I think it’s a big mistake and he should be fired now. But, I am not the AD, so we will see.
If you give him another year and he has a modicum of success, you are forced to keep him leading to the Big12. If that would the case, I expect to have some embarrassing losses when we join our new conference. Heck, we already had a few of these this year.

I was being sarcastic but in reality other coaches have been canned for way less and shorter amount of times - to produce a graphic about those accomplishments shows you they’re reaching for success -

Obviously he has an ally who gets a power trip behind closed doors but the deal is probably get him to coach up until we go to the Big 12 and he’ll resign then or he’ll have his years to retire in Texas.

But other coaches who are fired at UH can point to him and attribute his longevity based on lack of success if they ever want to fight it

I assume you are talking about men’s sports.

It’s a long leash sure, but didnt Hughey replace a guy that lost a ton of games and quit in the middle of the year?

Everybody wants success, for the athletes, if nothing else. They work just as hard whether they win or lose.

And I get it
 I get wanting change
 But getting a baseball coach with a clue is far more important than a women’s basketball coach.

And, having said that, they’ve had a couple years to recruit off of the Fertitta Center. The ladies had a winning season, got some good post-season experience, and should field an experienced team next season. One more year won’t hurt, and if football does what it’s supposed to do, UH athletics will have more money to spend next year

I’m not disagreeing with you guys, I’m just saying the risk/reward calculation re: keeping the coach isn’t totally skewed towards firing the guy. I mean, seriously, UH didn’t fire Whitting after his garbage last year, they have no business firing Hughey after his winning season and two postseason wins
 Now if Hughey goes out and schedules 30 games of garbage next year, then fire him when the schedule comes out, right after they fire Whitting.