Larry Scott’s future on the line!

If the move gets them even more money. That’s why they need to effectively kill the Big 12 with expansion so they can maximize any monetization from expansion into Texas- Texas already has huge Big 12, SEC, and to a much smaller degree other conferences with a footprint in the state. Taking a Texas Tech or UH ain’t gonna do it. They have to get OU and UT and kill off the Big 12 IMO to maximize any geographic expansion. Private schools don’t do it. Multiple high level public schools is their only shot IMO.

Sit tight.

Mon, its clear you DIDNT read the column…The story is a page and a half, and here is the last 2 paragraphs from Wilner’s story…
“How is all this going to affect realignment that is coming in the next few years? Dont know, but those 3 presidents are counting on PAC 12 network to bring in enough money to catch up with their peers. In my opinion, that is not going to happen. The folks who shell out those billions of dollars do so for P5 football inventories, not water polo and wrestling matches”
“It seems to me that in the next round of expansion the PAC 12 is going to be looking for some schools who can move the needle in a large television market for football and basketball. To me that says the Texas market and UH and realignment are around the corner.”

4 Likes

It’s clear that at least two other posters on this forum, aside from just myself, cannot find an article, by wilner, that has those two paragraphs.

Please link us to that wilner article. And I’m not asking because I’m trying to be argumentative. I really would love to have that hope.

The pac 12 already spanked UH’s behind for publicly claiming the PAC is looking to add us, when they were not. So changing the narrative back, by a PAC source, not by the opinion of a UH supporter, is welcome.

1 Like

Sooner, there is no way Texas will go to the PAC…They can go to any other P5 and make considerably more money…B1G and ACC would be top considerations for them…Face it, they can go anywhere they wish…Texas and a partner of their choosing likely go to B1G or ACC, Would OU be Texas’ partner? Possibly.
.B1G will be first up in 2023…What will they do? WHO will they take? Stay tuned…

Monte, would you please send us the link?

OK, Ron, and Mon, let me help you guys out…Go over to Cougar Digest. Go down and find the thread titled."“And then there were 3:PAC 12 News” It is posted Feb 20th, , so go down until yall find it…
The first post in the thread is from coogam, who basically just reprints the Wilner article word for word…And dont let anybody try and tell you it isnt Wilner…It IS…I come from an old newspaper family…I first talked to Wilner 24 years ago, when the SWC fractured and TCU, SMU and Rice were looking to join the WAC…Wilner was covering the story for the Mercury News…I know him and i know his writing style…He is old school and one of the most important college sportswriters in California…and you are right, that a column like this from him is worth a lot, given his reputation…READ it and enjoy it…

2 Likes

Are we sure that last paragraph with UH is not just speculation from the poster?

If you read the complete story, it is 1 and a half pages and 8 paragraphs all together.The next to last paragraph clearly does not conclude the story…The last paragraph is Wilner’s opinion as to what HE thinks is coming…It ends the story like any good college beat writer’s column would…With a conclusion based on his informed opinion…

2 Likes

You seriously sending people to the competition? Have some respect.

1 Like

there IS no competition…There is only U of H…the competition?? That would be Orangebloods or Aggie Maroon…

1 Like

Except that the supposed article can not be found. You were hoodwinked and are believing something with no substance.

2 Likes

some PAC 12 schools joining the American?

Instead of trying to be derogatory, back up your claim and show a link to the story on the newspaper’s website.

Otherwise, you’re the one acting childishly defensive. We WANT this story to be written from the esteemed writer you mentioned.

1 Like

You see, the great pac12 reporter is now publishing columns on cougar digest under the pseudonym Coogam. It has a much wider readership than the San Jose Mercury.

1 Like

Not a fan of playing on west coast, too late, but Colorado, Utah, Arizona’s
and maybe UNLV or BYU and I would like it.

UNLV is PST. Would be no different than playing other West Coast schools.

Living in Oregon, I would make a number of road trips to support all UH teams coming to play PAC conference-mates.

1 Like

Go to Cougar Digest and find the thread, “And then there were 3, PAC 12 News” Coogam reprinted Wilner’s column talking about PAC 12 problems…You want more info?? Call the Mercury News, find out what day Wilner wrote the column and buy a copy of the paper and get it mailed to you…Thats how i got to know Wilner years ago, when i got him to mail me his stories on creation of the Mountain West, which i was hoping Houston would try to join…
Quit whining about links and websites!!! Things arent FREE in this world…Get a paper!! put it in your hands, smell the ink, read the story…talk to some people who work in their sports dept…thats how you make a connection, thats how you find out stuff…Youll be surprised how receptive they can be, if you approach it right…I used to know every college beat writer and columnist that worked for the The Houston Post…

1 Like

Aldine, your track record is abysmal so you have to realize that people aren’t going to take your word for anything.

You were adamant and spoke in absolutes about too many things that you turned out to be totally wrong.

The onus is on you. Three posters have tried to locate the article with no luck. You are the one claiming the article is real but you can’t prove it.

At this point, everything you’ve claimed about the PAC being interested in expansion, let alone including UH, is wrong.

Let’s let the thread die and move on.

1 Like