Leftovers from Big 12

What happens to them. Do they reach out to certain teams and create a new P5 conference. How would that work. If I’m UH I’ll be :eyes:

1 Like

In my opinion the top teams from the AAC and Mountain West (Plus) BYU join the Big 12.

Arguably that would be the best basketball conference in the country.

Football would be every bit as good as the old Big East.

Is it a football conference on par with the SEC? No but that ship has sailed. But from a basketball standpoint, it is pretty salty.

2 Likes

Yeah but football drives these expansions.

1 Like

You add Cinn to pair with WVU, UH (of course) and Memphis and BYU. Done.

4 Likes

Probably depends on what the second- and third-order effects are. If the ACC and Pac take a bunch of schools, the Big 12 is dead and the leftovers are probably going to the AAC. If not, the Big 12 probably picks up a couple of schools and becomes a true Best of the Rest conference.

If you had a lineup of:

Kansas
Iowa State
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Tech
Baylor
Houston
TCU
SMU
Memphis
Cincinnati
UCF
BYU
Boise State

That is the basketball conference in America.

That is a damn good football conference

5 Likes

14 teams ?! Probably have to be divided into two divisions like the $3C.

Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State & Kansas offered some caché even without the B12.

1 Like

I’m starting to really warm up to this possible conference. In many years it would be better in FB than the PAC and even ACC sans Clemson. With the expanded playoffs, the winner of the conference will have a seat at the table.

1 Like

It is also time for some of the higher academic schools to as what are they doing and why are they doing it.

In the era if the NIL, the service academies won’t be involved. So it is time for another Ivy League,

Tulane
Rice
Air Force
Army
Navy
University of Chicago
James Madison

Etc.

James Madison?

That’s a State U. It’s Virginia’s version of Sam Houston or Stephen F. Austin.

They definitely don’t belong in the same conference (academically speaking) with those others.

As for Chicago, they are Division III. They play in the University Athletic Association, sometimes affectionately known as the “Egghead Eight.”

I honestly don’t know much about James Madison. I thought they were well regarded academically.

But you get the point. It is a good time for all Universities (including us) to do self assessment and ask the question “What are we trying to accomplish with college football?”

Unless enough teams leave at precisely the same time to dissolve the conference, the leftovers are getting a huge windfall in exit and entry fees in addition to loads of basketball credits and some legacy contracts that won’t expire immediately.

Think about the Big East: Rebuilt from UConn, Cincinnati, and USF. That may have been because all the other schools didn’t leave at once, but neither would they likely leave the Big 12 at once. And I’m not sure it mattered. There were exit fees, entry fees, basketball credits, and existing contracts (that one year UCF went as an official BCS conference member).

IF we were to join a reformed B12, it would be a short term money solution and hopefully only a brief stop before we join a P4 because there will be no P5 after the b12’s current tv deal is over

You know kfd91, I was heart broken when the SWC fell apart. I loved the SWC. But in our 30 years of wandering the wilderness, I have come to the realization that we might not ever be in a P(whatever number). But that doesn’t mean we cannot be successful.

I really like the AAC. I like all the other schools in it. But if we are given the opportunity to form the best of the rest conference under the banner of the Big 12, I will take that and be happy with it.

I’d ditch the mountain time teams and stick to Central & East.

Houston
TCU
SMU
Memphis
Cincinnati
UCF
Navy
Temple
Maybe even two more from the AAC…not sure which.
Iowa State
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Tech
Baylor

2 Likes

There is a time limit to how long we can continue to spend at our current rate. If we don’t realize P4 type of money in the next few years, we won’t be playing football at this level

1 Like

As long as everyone else in the pool of 130 teams is doing, so shall we. If we see teams dropping out then we can be concerned. Our system budget is over a billion so it’s a smaller percent and it’s marketing basically. Until then , we carry on

130 are not doing.
Facilities won’t be maintained at this level
Coaches won’t be hired at this level
etc…

1 Like

If teams start dropping out, that might strengthen the position of those who stick around. If basically everyone in the MAC, SBC, and CUSA dropped down, the AAC and MWC become more valuable in an environment with less college football content.

Teams aren’t necessarily dropping out of FBS, their commitment to competing at the highest level is. Fielding a team is different than competing with the top 25
Rice fields a team, they don’t try to compete.