Let’s get dark money out of politics… GOP…not so fast

1 Like

If you hate politicians getting rich in office, which you should. Why stop this? Oh yeah the GOP is about political theatre like flying legal aliens around the country, on our dime, and not being serious about governing.

2 Likes

As a life long republican, I agree with you.

Finding out where the money is actually coming from would probably scare all of us. When we find out that our elections aren’t stolen but they are heavily manipulated by really bad people and really bad governments, it might finally wake us up to the fact that much of current fighting is being manipulated and paid for by countries that want to weaken us.

Every bit of money, either through direct contributions or contributions to politician controlled charities (ie The Clinton Foundation) should be completely brought to light. Banks have to know who their customers are, why the hell should the same rules not apply to politicians.

4 Likes

Dignity takes a backseat to power.

What makes ordinary people vote for them?

49-49 vote. Not a single GOPer voted for it.

The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), has been a top Democratic priority since the Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United in 2010 that enabled corporations and other outside special interest groups to spend unlimited amounts of money on federal elections.

And the Republican response is almost unintelligible, but hits the buzz words.

McConnell, a longtime opponent of campaign finance restrictions, dismissed the bill as a “liberal pet priority” that he said would give “unelected federal bureaucrats vastly more power over private citizens’ First Amendment rights and political activism.”

Politicians are more beholden to big money than the constituents they are supposed to represent. How anyone let alone 100% of the Republicans in the Senate can oppose this, tells you all you need to know about the do-nothing GOP of today.

What is also interesting is the D candidates would lose more funding than the Rs if this passed, but one party is trying to fix things, the other is a bunch of career self-fundraisers only interested in getting rich and staying in office. Charlatans

I’m sure all of you have read the bill in it’s entirety?

Republican’s don’t want the people to have good governance by the vote against this legislation and making who’s donating transparent, democracy and freedom dies in the shadows and the dark corners of secrecy…

Tell us what part(s) you object to.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/443/text

Both side raise tons of money. If it didn’t make a difference, smart people/interests wouldn’t throw money at campaigns. The Dems and GOP will likely raise similar amounts of dollars. I’m for getting as much money out for both sides as possible. In reality, neither side seems to want that.

I’m all for making donor lists for anything over $2500 public, if we can’t limit it. It still protects the small donors.

*searches frantically for “pork”