Let's talk UCF

Welcome UCF poster. How is the weather in Orlando?

Navy drops bombs on us every year, go back and rewatch past games, it is frustrating

10 Likes

I missed the game you watched. In the UH Navy game I watched Navy gained 206 passing yards, including two plays which amounted for 101 yards. That means the remainder of the game they were able to pass for only 105 yards. I think “passing at will” might be a bit of an exaggeration or a faulty analysis.

5 Likes

Compare it to the traditional navy game
and compare it to the amount of passes.

Navy was passing at will for a team that never passes the ball

4 Likes

Navy’s passing yardage didn’t come from us not being able to man up and cover their receivers, it was just blown assignments.

UCF will score some points on us but the fact that their defense is dreadful, I like our chances Saturday.

5 Likes

To me, since the UH secondary is very soft, I’m hoping that our DC has the defense practicing on pressuring the UCF QB. Doing that could be a strategy to limit completions by the Knights. Coach Cauthen has to know when to order key blitzes. Otherwise, I’ll be holding my breath every single time a pass is thrown by the Knights.

2 Likes

This will be an interesting game. UCF is averaging over 600 yards per game in total offense. I don’t think they are nearly as good of a team as BYU but offensively they are the toughest offense we will face.

1 Like

There was a point in the 3rd quarter BYU game we were getting after Z Wilson pretty good. Every other play he was getting hurried, hit, or sacked. I thought we were getting in his head. BYU adjusted, responded and beat us. Will be interesting to see if we can break UCF that way. They have lost 2 conf games they can be beat.

1 Like

I think that is the low end. UCF could put up 6-700 pretty easily. Like Dragon said, if we keep Dillion on the move, we may have a chance. But he can run too so it’s not enough to flush him out of the pocket, we have to prevent the big scramble. We gave up several of those to Tulane and BYU.

1 Like

It’s relative. Navy threw 18 times against us. I was expecting 20. Compared to other teams, that is “at will”. Part of the reason is we shut down their run option. They didn’t get 100 yards on the ground against our starting rotation. They got about 70-ish against our backups on their last scoring drive. No one else has been able to shut down Navy’s run and force them to pass. That we only gave up 1 long TD pass is, imo, a win for us.

1 Like

I’d blitz every down, except punts.

That is a concern, because as many times as we shoot ourselves in the foot on offense means
 this is going to be a track meet. We can’t bog down in the RZ and we can’t have a 1Q like we have been.

1 Like

To me, I do not believe comparing to last years’ team makes any sense as that team was decimated with injuries and red shirts.

To me, our safety play is bad probably because of injuries. They seem to be lost. Corner back play has improved slightly.

The biggest problem I have with the secondary pass defense as I have said is not playing the ball. We play the man seemingly exclusively. This leads to PI penalties as well as completions with no chance of interceptions. I still think it is coaching as all the DBs play that way.

JMHO

I suppose you are right. A QB with a game rating of 56 was just slinging it to any receiver he wanted. He did just crack 50% for completion rate so perhaps a heisman is in his future.
If those stats mean “passing at will” then what do you call the BYU QB? Perfection?

In my preseason prediction I had UCF down for a loss. Now, I think it is a toss up. Their D is gives up points. We have to have 0 turnovers and maybe get a few. We need to cool it with the motion flags. I expect Gabriel to get flushed a lot. Can we contain him once he’s on the move? Idk. Can we some how cover their WRs? I think not. Williams and Jones yes but our safeties will either get beat or have to foul to prevent catches/TDs.

Offensively, we need to cool it with the holding and motion penalties. Motion especially blows my mind. Makes no sense. If stop hurting ourselves, we should be able to put up 40+. Will it be enough? Idk.

Obviously, you haven’t been watching. Navy has been dropping bombs on us since they have joined the league.

1 Like

I don’t think we should use BYU As a measuring stick for UCF. If you look at that game, our CBs had good coverage on a lot of those passes, their QB just put the ball in the correct spot. BYU’s offense was predicated on their QB’s ability to throw the ball accurately.

UCF is more about hitting you with speed. We have speed on defense as well. I expect UCF to put up some yards on us, but I am expecting us to turn them over as well.

1 Like

I suppose the “at will” needs some clarification. To me it means they threw as often and as accurately as they wished. 18 passes is not often and completing 10 of those isnt great accuracy.
Tulane threw 25 times and BYU threw 35 times. Even those two QB’s didnt throw at will. That is such a negative term to put on an otherwise very good pass defense

1 Like

Navy is all about the run/option. They know every team will line everyone up to stop the run. The open man to throw to every now and then is a given. Their QB is no Heisman material.

I do agree and I’m glad people are starting to agree that Tune is not a great quarterback but he’s okay.

Do I still think he will take us to a New Year’s bowl or a conference championship, no. But he’s a solid college Qb.