Looking back at D’Eriq King

Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray were both pro-bowlers last year at under 6’. I think that Doug Flutie bit is outdated now.

1 Like

Both of those guys appear to be a lot bigger and sturdier than King though.

Flutie is the only NFL QB that I can think of that is comparable to King in both stature and build.

OK then. Maybe the excepton to the rule ought to be Eddie LeBaron. 5 foot 7 inches tall. 168 pounds. All Amercan. Next, a highly decorated war hero as a USMC combat officer in Korea (wounded twice). Then NFL Rookie of the Year in 1952. Four time Pro Bowl selection while he was the QB of the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys. After his playng career ended, he became a practicing attorney. (He went to law school during NFL off-seasons.) And, he also became the GM of the Atlanta Falcons.

Meanwhile, Kyler Murray is still havng bad dreams about Big Ed Oliver and Russell Wilson’s bad finger still hurts sometime.

How do you measure toughness?

They’re all good in my book…Broadway, O’Korn, Piland, Turner, Joseph, DK, Ike…et all…they’re all doing something that 99.99% on board has never done or even been remotely close to doing…playing QB in D1

2 Likes

More than likely there would have been a handful of games king struggled in when facing defenses who could keep him in the pocket, contain him and forced him to throw downfield.

Miami has been better with a qb who can spread the field. Funny how some of you still insist in defending him

Holgorsen stuck with the RIGHT quarterback.

Next question.

What is the point of this thread?
King is gone. Period.

2 Likes

Two points:

1. In the end, we are better off without him, AND…MORE IMPORTANTLY…

2. As it turns out, King has been worse off where he ended up, and has missed out.

As I said…the grass isn’t always greener.

That’s easy to prove that no matter how old we are some of us are just high school mean girls.

2 Likes

Exactly. This pisses me off as someone who tried another school for a few months (Texas) and was on the verge of leaving for a second one before deciding to stay (Virginia Tech). I was making decisions best for myself. Staying here was the best decision, for myself, and school name had nothing to do with it. Had Rice been the best decision, I would have gone across town (though in this case it absolutely wasn’t). Family situation, potential work, and more made me say ‘nope, staying behind’. I don’t regret it one bit, but I always wonder ‘what if I did leave?’

King did the same thing. King made a decision for himself. His college career is over unless he gets a 7th year. Who cares about performance, we’re talking smack about a 24 year old who made a decision for himself and his family. There was some even more smack about Lockhart when he left for Arkansas.

Quit smack talking students who transfer out. It seems that the ‘big time’ names get crapped on for wanting to move on and explore other options, while general ones are ‘wished well’ by a good number of people on this board. People make decisions based off of situations or big life changes. Family moving, family passing away, other opportunities, realizing there might not be a best fit in a program, while still maintaining respect for coaches. And personally, had I known where my family was moving before my round of applications, I absolutely would have NOT been in Houston.

This isn’t Tom Herman, this isn’t Kevin Sumlin, this isn’t Briles. These are 18-23 year old kids who are looking out for themselves and their future. Miami is a good institution overall, and not just athletics.

Do I agree that the grass is always not greener? Of course. I quickly discovered that myself, and shoved that back into my parents face (their opinion on UT, at least in McCombs, has been changed forever. For the negative).

But are we really going to resort to talking smack about STUDENTS, making a decision for themselves to go to an institution, that can further benefit THEM? It’s rinse and repeat at this point.

Hey @uhlaw97, you went to what, three, four, five different schools? Compare your choice between that school at the time and attending UH in that year. What would you have chosen? Regardless of missing out on athletics.

I get your point on the athletics/notoriety side, but I disagree with the intent. It’s time to stop talking down the idea of students seeking a better situation for themselves. It’s actually annoying and petty at this point.

With all due respect, part of my “point” was that his move might NOT have been the best decision for him, in retrospect.

It didn’t help him. He’s arguably worse off for it, notoriety wise, stat wise, and record wise. He’s playing for a worse team with poorer post-season prospects. It doesn’t appear to have improved his professional chances either. But I say that as someone looking from the outside. I can’t say what’s in his head. Sometimes, people do things that they THINK are right for them, but which any outsider can reasonably look at and say in retrospect…you know…gee…that wasn’t such a wise choice after all, eh D’Eriq?

That’s the case here.

As for my five…going on six alma maters (degree #6 currently in progress…expected Dec. '22)…all of them were or are the right school at the right time for that particular period in my life, and that particular field of study.

Regarding UH, I wouldn’t have gone anywhere else to get my Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from 1994-1997. It was the best law school that I could imagine in every regard, got me a law license, and led to my second career which I’ve been involved in for 3.5 years now (and for half a year decades ago). It’s given me a good life, a good job, and of course…it aligned perfectly with my lifelong love of UH athletics (my grad school/law school UH alum Dad started taking me to games in the late 1970s when I was five years old), and my Houston hometown roots.

Not sure what you were getting at in asking that question, but I wouldn’t have gone to law school anywhere else, would definitely make the same decision in the same time again, and cannot even fathom ever making a different choice.

In that case (unlike D’Eriq’s) the choice’s results speak for themselves! My choice to attend UH certainly produced far better outcomes for me than D’Eriq’s decision to leave UH did for him (or at least, that appears to be the case at this point; perhaps the future will prove me wrong).

GO COOGS!!!

1 Like

Initially it looked like a great move for him, and I’ll admit I was a bit pissed off how he left, at first.
There was talk of being on Heisman watch list, possible NC, and really good sounding
NIL deal for him at Miami.

But he’s a UH grad, and entitled to change his mind about coming back after taking the shirt.
He was dealing with a lot of family stress too, so I still hope it works out for him and he finds the green. Now I probably would not be so forgiving if not for 11-1 and the Holiday season.

But it a good and fair topic on a fan board about what might have been. Kinda like Barrick Nealy
deal.

Thanks for clearing up your point! Yes, looking back, it might NOT have been the best choice, but looking at it from then and there, seems like it would have worked at the time. Maybe it was time to move on from UH given an injury ridden season followed by a redshirt. With the retrospect idea in mind, I can easily say the same thing about UT. But I also thought it would be the best case for me. I would have not been a proud Longhorn, but I sure as hell would have taken advantage of the network/tech area there (similar to how people come to UH for O&G recruiting).

Congrats on degree #6, I also finish my MS in Dec '22.

My main reservation is on people trying to talk down on a student for choosing another place, things change. That’s really the point.

Coach Nealy :slight_smile: I know him personally @NRGcoog, he went to Tx State, did his time, went out to go pro, didn’t like it after a while, and wanted to coach. He came back, got his degree and helped coach my high school to state. He worked in the dorms there and would be there to talk/mentor people if need be. If he’s called up to coach at UH, I would tout it in a heartbeat and be happy happy. Hell of a guy and found major success in the FCS/Tx State.

I logged in just to give a like to your post.

Some people here are just so ridiculous, it’s almost unbearable.

But, that’s Coogfans for you… Let’s offer meaningless, inaccurate comparisons of apples and oranges in a transparent effort to talk smack about an alum of our University.

At least that’s what it comes across like to me.

No point to it. No reason for it. Just dumb. And really petty.

Go Coogs (past and present)

3 Likes

My lord… He’s 24. You’re damn near 50+. The preening arrogance and judgement dripping from your post is probably the most egregious I’ve ever read on this site. How bout we let the man live his life? And when he gets to be your age and if you’re not pushing daisies at that time then we can compare notes and see how this one decision has worked out for him. I’m willing to bet he will be at peace and happy with his lot in life by running his own race and not letting you nor anybody else who is inconsequential to his life who wants to judge how he does so try to run it for him.

As I said in my post, perhaps the future will prove me wrong.

We’ll see!

I’m very much in the camp that what King did in leaving on the whole was objectively crappy. I don’t hold a personal grudge against him as a person but I’m also not going to sugarcoat that what he did under the circumstances was pretty crappy and I don’t really think of him as another Coog who just decided transferring was best for him because of that.

But I don’t agree with #2 at all. If he had not pulled the plug after Tulane and played 8 more game to get us to 7-5 or something I don’t think his life would be wondrously better.

He had a really successful year last year that I’m sure was a fun experience for him and he got some pretty legit NIL money as a result.

It worked out for the best for us too. It sucked that Tune had to burn his redshirt year again without really being prepared to start (one of the many reasons I thought King’s decision and actions were kind of crappy), but he ended up getting a year back in any event with everyone getting a free year last year.

Dana knows what offense wins. He came in to construct his vision. And he’s only half way there. He basically intimated in the CCG skype that we will be going after hulking offensive linemen and defensive linemen as the years progress.

Rather that wonder what would have happened had Dana run King’s offense, we should wonder how it would have been had King been competent enough to run Dana’s.

1 Like

I’ve moved on from King and don’t follow him; no ill will, just no longer interested. I wish him a happy life in whatever avenue that takes.

1 Like

My thoughts on D’Eriq King and all black QB’s in general

So tired of people saying change position