Madame President headed to Austin to get Permanent Funds

Gang,

Obviously this wouldn’t match the PUF, but it would double our current endowment and put us in the upper echelons of US institutions of higher learning.

People shouldn’t be disparaging this effort.

In the end, ya gotta be realistic. We all know that PUF will likely never be shared with UH, so we need to come up with some other way to reach the higher echelons.

12 Likes

Suing like a$m did would work if UH sued along with Tech. The law is about precedent so if a$m was successful then we could regardless of the constitution here. We prob just don’t want to go there now but if they reject the fund we’re trying to get them we should.

2 Likes

Let’s go for a billion now and sue later.

4 Likes

Pull the National Guard from the border and we have our $1 billion. :crazy_face:

10 Likes

The courts didn’t change the PUF. ut settled out of court and agreed to give a$m 1/3 to avoid the possibility of having to share equally with them.

We could do the same with tech then

Since it is in the constitution, I don’t think this is true. Unfair, unethical, %^&*$# up, yes, but not illegal.

4 Likes

Came across some interesting reading.

5 year old thread on texags to see the split viewpoints. Most don’t like to share their toys with others.

Chronicle Article on HBCU inclusion. Found this quote to be disturbing as it does not seem like it can be true but more setting the stage not to share:
“TAMU System Chancellor John Sharp said Prairie View now receives more money from the PUF than Texas A&M.”

I’m not sure where this notion came from that A&M sued and gained PUF funds. There were decades of negotiation that finally culminated in a legislative agreement.

For those who are interested, this is a pretty good paper on the PUF history.

https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/bitstream/handle/2152/3407/matthewsc64304.pdf

2 Likes

Someone posted it on the internet, it must be true.

1 Like

I think that UH needs to make friends with the private universities on the issue.

Not to provide private universities with funding, but more a scratch my back and I will scratch yours later. There are many people in the state legislature that went to the privates and do not have loyalty to UT or A&M.

Always good to develop relationships and friends, but I don’t think the privates in this state have enough political muscle and are somewhat hostile to all thinks UH. I’m thinking of the Rice,SMU,TCU,and Baylors of the state.

This issue was addressed years ago. The legislature created NRUF to provide funds to emerging research universities. The amount for a school is a small fraction of PUF.

The greatest argument for more assistance to UH is as an AAU school it would bring many millions or perhaps billions in federal research money to the state and UH is the most ready.

TT people including its president argue a school does not become an AAU member by raising metrics even though the AAU defines metrics it uses. UH has improved its metrics and is working hard to improve them more. while TT has stubbornly refused. It must be the dust.

Would you list the AAU metrics? I’m sure they are vague about their metrics.

Do their metrics say something like you have to be a top 100 university in US News Reports rankings, graduation rate at 90% and you have to have a medical school?

I wish it was that simple but it’s not because you have to be sponsored and get voted on by their membership.

Best I could find

2 Likes

Yep, NRUF is woefully inadequate to make much of a difference imho. And the most biting
thing about it is that member institutions of the UT System have to beg for the NRUF crumbs.
You would think the UT System with its multi-billion dollar PUF could find a way to fund its own members development .

https://reportcenter.highered.texas.gov/reports/legislative/national-research-university-fund-eligibility-2021/

2 Likes

It takes a lot of money to maintain pre-season top 25 rankings every year. That is not something ut can risk losing.

3 Likes

She’s a smart cookie, if she gets them to provide a 1 billion endowment with the present endowment that will put UH endowment in the 2.32 bllion range its a good down payment for all the yrs of neglect we experienced. Still need to get some of that PUF eventually. Maybe Tillman will leave a few billion in endowment in his will. I project by time he retires at the rate of growth of his wealth, he’ll be worth at least 16B in networth or more.

5 Likes

The AAU Indicators can be viewed by clicking aau.edu below. Then scroll down to:
AAU Membership Indicators

Meeting these metrics only won’t achieve membership but a school better meet or exceed them.

1 Like

I just read through that and it just seems like most of them are scared of what UH will become with PUF funds. Simple as that.

1 Like