Many Thought This…Looks to be True…

I don’t think anyone’s saying you can’t say the team is good. There’s a ton of talent on the roster and a whole season still in front of them. Sky’s the limit. I just think its premature to definitively state that this team is better than last year’s team 7 games into the season. Which is what OP did. I typically break the season down with a couple check points. 1st one is after non-conference play. 2nd is at the mid-way point in league play. 3rd is the end of the regular season. We will know substantially more about this team at each of those check points. Long way to go.

I never thought last year’s team was a great rebounding team. It was still in our DNA and culture and we worked hard but it was more about one great rebounder.

The one thing holding our totals down is the fact we are turning teams over this season. This is what separates this defense from our other great teams is this team isn’t just getting stops they are taking the ball. The development of Shead is really making this unit special.

2 Likes

I don’t think Shead is human.

I think he is an AI bot from the future. What doesn’t destroy him, makes him stronger. You can see it in his eyes.

2 Likes

It’s REALLY early, but two things are sticking out to me right now that look better than last year. @RWcoog kind of beat me to it, but rebounding and turnovers have been the difference.

1. We’re not destroying opponents on the boards anymore because we are making more of our shots. Our rebounding margin is still good at +4.8 through 7 games (compared to +8.9 last year).
  2. Turnover margin is better. Through 7 games, we are +5.7 in turnover margin compared to +3.5 last year. Right now we are forcing an average of 16 turnovers/game. That’s insanely good!

Shead and Sasser have been tremendous on defense. I enjoy watching their perimeter defensive effort almost as much as watching our offense. It’s still too early to know if this team will be better, but right now I don’t think it’s completely unreasonable to say this year’s team is deeper and better balanced both offensively and defensively.

EDIT: The stats I used were found on the UH website and I just realized they do not yet include the Northwestern State game.

Also, Fabian shooting over 44% from 3 is a massive game changer. Gorham shot 35.4% last year but only on 1.54 attempts per game. Fabian is taking 2.6 threes per game right now. As well as he’s shooting it, I wouldn’t mind seeing that number up around 4 or 5, depending on what teams will give him.

4 Likes

We might end up being as good and or better, but come tourney time, advancing a weekend+ depends so much on draw, health, crunch time shots and FTs. It’s not a complete crapshoot, but there’s a lot of randomness.

2 Likes

After the Alabama road game we will have solid clues as to the quality of this season’s team.

I just watched the replay of the first half against NW St. Truly amazing performance. Hit lots of 3’s and turned them over relentlessly.

We are a legitimate 9 deep. Maybe even 10. Waves of players executing at a high level.

And, yes, it is Shead that is a real difference maker. He could become better than was Deeky.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ll pause on that statement. Couple things last years team had that we currently don’t.

1. Tall guards. Especially at point (Deeky) was a key to our success. It might not look as pretty but having length at guard helps the monster and 3 point closeouts exponentially.

2. Grimes ability to absolutely take over a game against good teams. Didn’t do it all the time. Didn’t need to. But Sasser isn’t quite at that level yet. Memphis home game Covid year comes to mind. Just put the team on his back 12 points in 2 minutes or something like that.

3. Justin Gorham to quote an opposing coach “has that dog in him.” Rodman-esque at times. We thought Chaney would step into this role this year and he still might. Roberts has a chance to as well.

I’m enjoying the journey with this team though. They look the part. They’re buying into the culture.

6 Likes

Oh that’s a really good point I hadn’t thought of that. We are definitely more balanced offensively than we’ve ever been. Once we find the right guard rotation it will be even better.

1 Like

Also. Last year’s team had to deal with a COVID pause. And an in season transfer.

1 Like

Might have helped that last years teams vs the field. We basically had the same team back but add Chaney and mark. A lot of young talented teams were hurt so bad because of Covid and having a new team. But idk which team was better when one team has only played 7 games lol so Ima stay out this one until further notice

The Bama game is not going to define us or say how good we are.
Our team is going to be really good. We will win a lot of games. My bet is that every time we take the court this season we are going to win. Doesn’t mean we go undefeated but a lot has to go right for a team to beat us.

1 Like

I thought the team that lost to Michigan was the best Sampson has had. At least the team at the end of the season.

I think we have been better every season with the exception of the canceled tournament. Still solid just not quite as good or consistent.

Yeah, we had to deal with the in season transfer that made everyone and the team better.

That 3 point prayer shot still haunts me.

3 Likes

we’ll know when Shead comes full circle like Deeky when he bites a UC player…

5 Likes

I’m enjoying this season’s team a bunch. I like it when the Coogs win. I fondly remember the past seasons for what they were but feel no need to measure one season against another. I’m just not into the hypothetical comparisons with the past. What is the point? Its it really that interesting? What difference does it make? I live in the present. Go 2021-2022 Coogs!

1 Like

can’t say how impressed I am with Shead this year. Kid has made a massive leap compared to last year.

4 Likes

Last year’s team was +28.75 in efficiency per KenPom.

This year is +25.73, but the season is young.

That was our rating after winning games in the NCAA tournament. So it got boosted.