Memphis

The AAC is a dumpster fire in nonconference games.

Listening on xm to the Memphis broadcast. They are depressed.first 3 game losing streak since tubby.

It’s amazing these high schoolers are still lining up to lose draft position on this team

6 Likes

It’s early but if I had to get I don’t think Memphis makes the tournament. They still play Tennessee and Bama in conference play, they could go into conference with 5 losses. That means they basically have to go 15-3 in conference play to make it or win the conference championship, and I doubt any of those things happen

1 Like

Yep their fans are done with Penny but they only have 3 lost. It’s a long season.

This is the AAC not the ACC we don’t get in the tournament with 9+ losses. They already have 3 and have bama and Tennessee to play

2 Likes

There is a crackpot/lost touch with reality aspect to Penny’s statements today.
Crying that the fans and media are mean to him?

7 (Bates) and 2 (Duren) points today says some blame goes their way.

-Quit blaming Bates.

Various Penny bashing threads.
-Penny Should Resign

-Its Coaching

-Penny’s not the answer-Change my mind

Taze is going to lock Bates up

I am not a big recruiting guy in basketball and football, there is just too many players to follow. But Memphis was supposed to have guys in their recruiting class who were NBA ready or virtually NBA ready. From what I can see, I just don’t see that. I see guys that could be good players in a year or two, but how is that any different than the guys we recruit? Our guys aren’t difference makers when they step on campus. They have good raw material that needs to be finished before they are NBA ready. Same with these Memphis guys. The difference in the programs is that Sampson finishes them, Penny doesn’t or hasn’t.

1 Like

After UH, Cincy and UCF leaves, Memphis can dominate the AAC in hoops year after year.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

They’re convinced they’re headed to probation. If that happens expect Penny to go, Brown to serve out the season as HC, and they go get a good coach.

1 Like

They should bench bates for a game or three until he wants to be a team player.

1 Like

They should bench Penny

6 Likes

Penny is the Kevin Sumlin of college basketball
highly rated recruits but nothing to show for all that.

2 Likes

Gutys like Quinones and Nolley have not improved one iota since their arrival on campus.

4 Likes

Q and Nolley are solid rotation guys
They lost a great defensive center in Cisse and on ball defender who was finally figuring out how to be a PG in Ellis, both to transfers
Williams their hustle guy is a knucklehead
Their two big 5 star players who the experts rationalized a top 10 ranking are under developed and not ready to lead.
They have very little depth with transfers trying to find their place.

1 Like

Hot take but I actually think Penny is a bad recruiter.

2 Likes

Need to upgrade their Coach to a Quarter.

4 Likes

Kind of agree. Lets be honest, Penny doesn’t have a system or process. Kelvin’s system is based on toughness. His process is defense-first. Kelvin recruits kids that fit that mold. He knows they won’t even be their true selves until at least their second or third year. So he doesn’t fret about immediate contributions. He wants to form them in his image.

Penny is recruiting kids that don’t even plan to be there for their junior season. That makes having a process and/or system difficult. Under those conditions you’d better be a brilliant x and o guy and your kids better have above average court smarts.

I don’t see either with Memphis.

(Not saying Penny’s kids are dumb and not saying Kelvin won’t recruit a 5-star. But their systems are as far apart as you can get - I favor Kelvin’s process over Penny’s star power given the choice.)

6 Likes

Jarace Walker is more prepared as a high school senior to help right now and he will still have a big learning curve when he arrives this summer.

3 Likes