Men's Golf: Aggie Invitational Wrap Up

Your Houston Cougars notch a top 5 finish against a solid field at the Aggie Invitational held at Traditions Golf Club this past weekend. Houston shot rounds of 293 - 304 - 314 to finish t4th (with #32 New Mexico).

Conditions this week were absolutely brutal, as evident by the final scores. To give some context, par this week was 288 (counting 4 scores - 4 x 72), and not a single team broke 300 in the final round. Scores ranged from 304 to 318 in the final round. Obviously, the 3rd round hurt more than the second, but all in all, a solid week for your Houston Cougars.

The Coogs were led by Braxton Watkins, playing in the 3 slot, finished the event t6 at +5 for the tournament (includes a final found 77) and Alex Frances finishing t10 at +9. Unfortunately, the rest of the team was all over the place, with finishes ranging from t33 to t60.

The event was won by the home team, Texas A&M, shooting +23. The results are as follows:

1. #23 Texas A&M : +23
  2. #10 Arkansas : +31
  3. #7 Texas Tech : +34
  4. Houston : +47
  5. #32 New Mexico : +47
  6. #40 Louisville : +50
  7. North Texas : +50
  8. #43 Little Rock : +52
  9. Baylor : +57
  10. Kent State : +65
  11. UTSA : +74
  12. Northern Illinois +88

Overall, Coogs were able to continue their trend upward with a positive win-loss in this event and ultimately secure another berth to regionals (regardless of the outcome of the AAC Championships). Coogs currently sit at 72-60 for the year.

I continue to be encouraged by this team, and am hoping we continue to see improved play. Alex Frances has absolutely been crushing it this spring, and continued that trend in Aggieland. Braxton Watkins had his highest finish of the year, and maybe, just maybe, this event (barring an atrocious final round due to weather) gives the team some confidence heading into the AAC Championships next week.

And back by popular demand, per Funk, is our SHSU v UH tracker (can’t believe we have to do this). SHSU played in an event where we fielded our JV squad all playing as Individuals (unattached from the team) in Conroe at the Bayou City Collegiate. No need to further expand on that.

Next up: Conference Championships. Let’s go, Coogs!

7 Likes

That sounds like a nice performance. I’ll take it. Top five in any tournament is nice.

What are our odds at the CC?

1 Like

Nice finish. Does anyone know why we don’t have the 3 Amigos tournament anymore ? I’ve asked the coach and didn’t get an answer.

1 Like

3Amigos will know better with how we are currently playing and how others are looking, but pure rankings wise USF (37) and SMU (43) would be the favorites. We are 3rd ranked (61) with Cincy (68) and UCF (69) right behind us.

2 Likes

In regards to the Three Amigos golf tournament, not sure why we don’t have that anymore. We do have the Dave Williams Pro-Am (on Monday - I had to turn it down this year due to work). That’s going to continue to be the primary golf outing/fundraising vehicle we use. It’s super successful and raises a TON of money.

Now, switching gears to the AAC - I plan to do a writeup tomorrow. A preview of the Championship if you will. I’m going to breakdown the team rankings, the highest rated players on each team, and come with some additional insight as to what we can expect.

3 Likes

I’ve gone back and re-studied my recent UH golf history thanks to 3Amigos. I was definitely overly critical of Dismuke, sometimes for the wrong reasons.

Still concerned but feeling better about things.

1 Like