Men's Golf Program

Can’t speak for Ritz, but a couple of years ago at a tailgate, a former well-known member of the golf team told a group of us how he had offered assistance of some kind (can’t remember the specifics) to the program and never heard back from the current coach.

Could be sour grapes involved or maybe issues that we were not told, but I tend to believe the story based on other second hand information floating around.

3 Likes

That’s two posters on coogfans mentioning the same thing. I am sorry but 12 years in charge and what do we have to show for these twelve years?
I do not know his contract status.

3 Likes

Maybe bring in Tuten. He’s also a Williams protogé and loves the program. Don’t know how he’d recruit but he’d put every ounce of energy into it.

As I understand it he’s a great range coach - working constantly on his players’ mechanics.

He’s spent his whole life drilling the golf swing and outworking the next guy. Then again maybe he doesn’t want to.

3 Likes

To this I say that’s malfeasance. We have pictures of many all-americans in our Hall of Honor and we never let that out of the building???

Every single recruit should be getting a call by a former player. Golf is a sport that oozes history and legacy. I know our golf alums want us to be great again. I’m sure they would happily do it.

3 Likes

All college golf programs use a handful of courses to change things up. But I am pretty sure Rice is Wildcat and HBU is Riverbend in Sugar Land.

1 Like

Good steal from Wichita.

2 Likes

Great point. The fact that we are where we are is not acceptable.

1 Like

Nm.

1 Like

GolfStat final ranks has us at 61 for the year. That is a big improvement from where we were a year ago. We’re moving in the right direction and a nice portal jump from Wichita State. I am sure the junior transfer will enjoy our golf weather much better and thrive with it.

I believe we had some players that didn’t pan out on the recruiting side that had to flush through the system. That happens. If you miss in golf with a couple of recruits, your dead with only having 4.5 scholarships to share across 8 to 12 players. When you recruit internationally, they always demand full rides to come and if you invest in a full ride and miss, you are sunk.

1 Like

I am actually encouraged for the first time in a LONG time. Frances playing well in a Euro amateur, Reily wins the Texas amateur, and a legit transfer. Long way to go, but fingers crossed.

Yep, we should be. Dismuke is a good representative and coach. Did very well in the first half of his tenure, then ran into a bad spot with some recruiting misses and now we’re returning. Golf is just too good in Texas not for UH to be in the top 40 and when we have 4 in the top 25 we should be there also.

Hell, if I remember correctly, we were ranked in the low 200s last year or the year before.

I get a little too critical of Dismuke at times, some justified, some from frustration. Coog golf has always been a fav of mine, from knowing both the Williams family and golfers from back in the 60’s and 70’s. Fond memories of me and my buds pulling a wagon loaded with beer following the AAII tournament at the original Pine Forest off Shepherd and harassing Crenshaw and Kite. Crenshaw was pretty cool….whenever we got to him he just smiled and shot us the bird. Kite was a jerk. I don’t remember ever seeing him smile even when he was playing well. Fun times.

1 Like

Understandable with 2019 and before. 2021 started our recovery and hopefully it continues and it appears it will.

But y’all use to harass opposing players at a golf tournament, specifically the UT team? Surprised you weren’t asked to leave the tournament grounds.

1 Like

Maybe harass was too strong a word, nothing during swings or anything like that. Just making sure all the ut players knew we weren’t there to pull for them. :sunglasses:. Crenshaw enjoyed it. Plus, Coach Williams would have been all over us….he didn’t put up with much.

That is good, golf is a different animal on that front.

Got to watch out for the players that enjoy it like Crenshaw. They’ll make you pay. Pete Rose proclaims all the boos he received post the 73 NLCS fight at SS motivated him tremendously, like he needed anymore. It appears the Stros are beginning to turn their non-stop boos on the road into motivation and Ws. Pete has even talked about how the Stros need to turn those boos into positives for them.

Overall, we do need to get back to making NCAA Finals and being consistently in the mix at regionals.

Golfstat shows us with only one player (Frances) in the Top 250. We’re a looooooong way from being relevant again.

Now one could say the team is on the rise and that is in effect true. But without a lock-down recruiter I don’t see how we even crack the Top 25 over the next three years.

As far as Indy vs local I think you have to take your sales pitch and go after the best either way. Frankly, there’s enough talent around Houston to keep us in good shape.

1 Like

I think I pretty much said we were improving and GolfStat proved that from recent YoY improvements with us at 60 from team performance and it wasn’t too long ago GolfStat had us at 200 something.

We can’t rely upon Texas only. International talent is too strong. Our best teams under Dis had a combination of strong Canadian, even UK and Texas talent. We lost that Canadian connection of talent when Chris Hill moved on.

I guess it all depends on what relevant means to some. Top 40 golf program is pretty decent. It pretty much guarantees a regional slot.

1 Like

I hope we aren’t aiming at Top 40. But I don’t know Dismuke nor what his goals are.

I don’t see the program really getting a great deal of traction.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting snowskier. Now let’s look a bit deeper. We see that Boise State is ahead of us at 47. This is one example. These rankings are misleading. I have wrote it again. We have a unique National tradition. Some of you pointed out that our main Coach did not or refused to get our “historical” players help. That to me alone is a line drawn in the sand. Our results speak for themselves. We stink. There is not another way to put it. You refuse help from UH’s legends and you get results like these?
Financially we are strapped but in a better financial situation a change should have been made a long time ago. Excelling we can just look at freaking Pepperdine. That alone shows you all how bad this coaching tenure has been. Pepperdine has a great campus and yes you can get a scholarship for horse riding but come on.

1 Like

From my knowledge and its a little dated, Dis had connected with many in our history over time. A private jet out to Pebble was a trip Jim N and others went on awhile back. He had a son of one from generation on the team a couple years ago and interaction with his dad around the team often.

Now, I had heard that years ago before Dis, but I’ve seen different, but I admit mine is a couple years out of date.

From my observations, the reason why we slipped was on some mishits on a few recruits that didn’t pan out and perform as expected.

I am just glad to see us make a leap this past year into a respectable zone.

A top 60 or top 40 in golf is a hell of a lot more competitive than it is in football. There are a lot more good golf programs and the differential is not as big.

Many have given our women’s program a lot of credit for their performances over the last 3/4 decade. Most of that time our rankings have been in the 20 to 40+ range with no trips to the NCAA Finals for some perspective.