Miles to Kansas

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1064184128663404544?s=21

Let’s see how this works

2 Likes

My guess: not well.

5 Likes

We missed our chance to make him our dc.

Granted, going from head coach at LSU to dc would be a demotion, but his defensive skills would have been a plus.

And Wade Phillips was going to leave the pros for us, smh

3 Likes

Why in the world would he have ever considered accepting a huge demotion from the $2+ million/year that he was still receiving from LSU to become a DC at a G5 program? That was never going to happen.

Now he has reportedly settled up with LSU in order to move back into a head coaching role at a P5 program for $2+ million/year. Let’s just hope that he isn’t successful recruiting Kendal Briles with a $1+ million/year offer to become his OC at Kansas.

3 Likes

That would have been weird. Les played offensive line in college and before becoming a head coach was an o line coach and offensive coordinator. He’s never coached defense before.

3 Likes

Stupid hire for Kansas. I think he’ll improve them but it just seems like an easy name grab instead of getting someone young in innovative who would excite the kids. Hopefully he has KU playing well by the time the UH series starts.

2 Likes

You have got to be kidding. Les Miles is one of only ~5 active college head coaches who have won an FBS level national championship. He has averaged 9 wins a year over a 16 year career and has won multiple coach of the year honors.

Remind me if and when Major Applewhile - or for that matter Kevin Sumlin or Lyin’ Tom Herman - ever achieve such a record.

3 Likes

He won it 11 years ago. I’m not saying he’s a bad coach, but you just hired a 65 year old who was obviously bored enough to take the Kansas job.

I didn’t think it was an interesting or inspired hire. That’s why they’re Kansas.

1 Like

Scott Frost won a natty at ucf, how hard could it be?

2 Likes

Let’s see, Nick Saban is only 67 years old. Not to inspiring huh?

Kansas State’s Bill Snyder is 79 years old this year.

Penn State’s Joe Paterno was 85 years old when he retired.

1 Like

What’s Frost’s record this year up at Nebraska?

1 Like

That’s totally fair. He’s playing with someone else’s players and has to put his system in place. They’re on a bit of a roll now but I guess he was supposed to go undefeated instantly to be good.

4-7 overall, 3-5 B1G. That’s what I mean, how hard can it be?

You’re writing about coaches already established in those programs. Saban has been there for 11 years. Snyder is probably done. Paterno didn’t retire and he sucks and continues to suck in hell.

I really don’t care about what Kansas does but I’d always lean for young and innovative vs old and established living on their past.

1 Like

Yes. Old farts like Miles and Saban and Snyder just can’t compete with those young whippersnappers. Apropos that you started comment with stupid.

2 Likes

He gets them bowl eligible consistently by the end of that contract and they’ll build Les a statue in Lawrence.

3 Likes

The problem with hiring a coach who has been at the top is that they struggle when they have to start over. Usually, a coach that was fired and finds somewhere else to park isn’t a good sign.

Petrino, Sumlin, Richt…

We’re talking Dorothy here, folks, Dorothy’s Kansas.

Who better than a former national championship coach do you think that they could attract to follow them down the yellow brick road? That’s it…just follow the yellow brick road…

Remind me of Applewhite’s innovations ?

5 Likes