Mills transferring

Who?

Yes being quarantined sucks and walking everywhere with a mask on is depressing.

3 Likes

Unless we’re getting a midyear transfer this hurts our upside as a team this season; unless Mark blows up.

North Carolina is what a 2.5 hour plane ride?

This has to be about something else.

I’m guessing his dream is to be a pro ball player someday. If so, he won’t have a choice where he plays, if drafted. And this move actually increases his odds of having to play in Europe
way more than 2.5 hours away. Talk about homesickness.

We also gave him great exposure to showcase his talents. He was named AAC pre-season PoY for a top 5 squad! He GOT the exposure.

This HAS to be about something more than just homesickness
if so, basketball at the next level is not for him.

2 Likes

Could the decision to go now have to do with eligibility? e.g. if he goes now he can play right away due to the transfer rules, but if he goes after the season they might make him sit a year?

https://247sports.com/player/michael-thomas-46102103/

https://twitter.com/unguardedmikeyy/status/1342337322893905926?s=20

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

No
 Everyone will be able to transfer this coming year because of Covid-19 that was passed by the NCAA already, I believe.

1 Like

Even with new COVID rules, I don’t think the NCAA will allow somebody to transfer and play mid-season. I would think he would have to sit out until the 2021-2022 season.

2 Likes

Both of our N.C. guys left early.

Nothing to assume here. Just stating facts.

We are 11 deep. We will survive.

7 Likes

Yes that’s how I interpret the rule. Which makes him transferring midseason mind boggling. Unless him and coach weren’t seeing eye to eye because of playing time.

1 Like

Maybe going from rural NC to the humongous Houston metro is a very big culture shock

1 Like

I think one of the main reasons they left home to play at UH was so there wouldn’t be no distractions while they worked on their craft before turning pro.

1 Like

It’s easier for his family to see him play if he is closer to home.

1 Like

Give me a break. How often do you think he’s going to be able to jump on a plane and go home during the season or even during the offseason? One of our supposed advantages in recruiting is that we’re close to home for a lot of talent. Do you think for a kid in Houston deciding between us and Iowa State for football our proximity shouldn’t matter because they can jump on a plane? We actually kept Sampson from going after the Magic job because he wanted to be near his family.

He is going to have to explain this but I think there’s going to be a lot more understanding due to the impacts of the pandemic. We didn’t have a pandemic last year and he was fine. He’ll probably be okay in the NBA once things go back to normal.

For what it’s worth Tracy McGrady was supposedly really homesick his first year in the NBA and was depressed and sleeping like 17 hours a day. It worked out okay for him.

Also one of the best WNBA players actually pulled something like this right before her college season was going to start.

While not the best example to cite as a positive, Royce White got drafted in the first round despite being afraid to fly on airplanes.

I’m not 100% taking Caleb’s side until the dust really clears but to not acknowledge that a 20 year old from NC might be struggling with the impacts of COVID and that this means it’s impossible for him to ever play away from home again is disingenuous.

And yes, I know people younger than that had to deal with much worse going to war, etc. but plenty of them also certainly struggled. Playing basketball for UH isn’t life or death.

6 Likes

I still think this has to do with the game at Tulsa.

4 Likes

He quit on his team mid season.

It’s that simple.

I don’t care where he ends up.

12 Likes

Sorry to see him leave. I wish him the best.

3 Likes

I realize that no one wants to say this out loud, but this is MOST LIKELY an attitude problem.

VERY disappointing.

12 Likes

Word is only Adidas schools will be in running for Oscar.

I think this is worse than King.

Yes, King quit too but the football team wasn’t going anywhere and his game didn’t fit under Holgi offense philosophy. Plus, he was playing under a new coach.

This Mills transfer has me scratching my head because of the culture and the Sampson’s.

1 Like